oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Bodies / HPI (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Surprising D4 price ? (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2995)

Jony 01-04-2007 12:59 PM

Surprising D4 price ?

Models in Motion are listing a price for the D4, £286.

http://www.modelsinmotion.co.uk/prod...roductid=22698

I wonder if this it the "you'll be surprised" price that people were talking about, or whether it's just made up. Surprising in as much as, you'll be surprised that it's about the same as the others!!!

jim76 01-04-2007 01:59 PM

i would say it's actually a lot less than a BX, BJ4 WE, 501X and X10/11.

pro4nut 02-04-2007 10:44 AM

Thats very reasonable, £100 cheaper than the bj4 and x10.
Still a touch more than the Lazer and xx4 but a good deal for what looks like a very nicely made buggy.

OldTimer 02-04-2007 11:49 AM

From what Adam was hinting at thought it was going to be closer or less than ZX5 or XX4 money, i guess it depends on what tune up parts are included one way etc?.

Jony 02-04-2007 11:51 AM

Sure, it's cheaper than the boutique cars (bj4, pred). And I suppose it is cheaper than the 501, BX.

Basically, I was just dreaming that it would be really cheap so that I could afford one :):D:)

Adam Skelding 02-04-2007 12:11 PM

£286 Seems pretty good value for money to me.
Considering how much other cars cost (genuine UK ones of course) not imported without duty from some far off land! ;)

As far as I know there's not much out there that's cheaper with performance to boot.

OldTimer 02-04-2007 12:15 PM

Not a dig Adam, i just think from what you said in the other thread people were thinking it was going to be ZX5 / XX4 (£250) money or less.

dan_kitty 02-04-2007 12:58 PM

sounds a good price to me, although i couldnt wait any longer and have now ordered a bj4we. now just waiting for that to come.

Adam Skelding 02-04-2007 03:26 PM

I know it's not a dig.....

The cost of the car is usually the cheap bit... I'd be more worried about cost of the tyres and cells!!!

JCJC 02-04-2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Skelding (Post 31468)
I'd be more worried about cost of the tyres and cells!!!

This is not a dig, but, cost of tyres and cells is the same - any car at this level.

Havent looked at the D4 closely yet, but we added carbon fiber, alloy brace & screws to our ZX-5 which lifted the inital price, still cheaper to run than the yoke special we ran the year before, spares are cheap. Lets see how it goes over the next couple of months, only way to tell if its worth the money.

DCM 02-04-2007 05:46 PM

I think price has got to reflect what is in the kit in the end, materials too, £286 isn't bad as long as the kit is good right out the box. Just don't use the same plastics that is used in the Cyclone 'S' chassis.....

mark christopher 02-04-2007 08:21 PM

cyclone s is a good car aimed at a beginner, this is not looking like an entry level beginers car to me!

telboy 02-04-2007 09:07 PM

when everyone see's one in the flesh they'll think its well worth the price.

DCM 02-04-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark christopher (Post 31502)
cyclone s is a good car aimed at a beginner, this is not looking like an entry level beginers car to me!

I was just commenting on the chassis and the material it is/was made from....

Adam Skelding 03-04-2007 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCJC (Post 31473)
This is not a dig, but, cost of tyres and cells is the same - any car at this level.

Havent looked at the D4 closely yet, but we added carbon fiber, alloy brace & screws to our ZX-5 which lifted the inital price, still cheaper to run than the yoke special we ran the year before, spares are cheap. Lets see how it goes over the next couple of months, only way to tell if its worth the money.

Correct. My point exactly.
People complain out price of kits. Yet the amount of money people spend on running / racing the car through a season far outweighs the initial cost of a car...

Lee 03-04-2007 09:02 AM

To be honest when i saw the car at batley it looked very similar to the BJ4 WE, its probably not as pretty to look at as its black and not blue but im sure hotbodies will have a "skelding edition" out soon:D

Coming in at under the £300 barrier is good value for money

Teddy truman 04-04-2007 07:39 AM

you didnt get that close to one then because the D4 is covered in purple:)

mark christopher 04-04-2007 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teddy truman (Post 31773)
you didnt get that close to one then because the D4 is covered in purple:)

motor mount is black alloy aint it? http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2226 biut i do see purple

Lee 04-04-2007 09:13 AM

Thats what i meant mark, the bits that are blue on the bj4 and the yoke etc are black on the d4

joffacn 06-04-2007 07:11 AM

HPI Japan site listing the D4

Hi

I like the colour - understated black with a touch of purple.:)

http://hpiracing.co.jp/contents/hotb..._d4/index.html

and the manual
http://hpiracing.co.jp/contents/hotb...clone%20D4.pdf

now where can I buy one quickly?

Jeff

GRIFF55 07-04-2007 07:46 PM

That car looks nice, will the parts be readily available in the uk and what sort of hop ups?

mark christopher 08-04-2007 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRIFF55 (Post 32291)
That car looks nice, will the parts be readily available in the uk and what sort of hop ups?

form what i know HPI Europe/ mirage will be stocking full spares and options when anounced which means any model shop can get hold of parts.

GRIFF55 09-04-2007 09:30 AM

I saw the car in the flesh yesterday, VERRRRRYYYYYY NICE!!!!!!!
Looks as if it is worth every penny to me, i have a 501x but am still considering giving one of these a go as i was that impressed.

myk505 19-04-2007 02:39 PM

is this car out yet?

jimmy 19-04-2007 03:09 PM

Late this month I was told, so should be any day I guess.

Ron Burgundy 20-04-2007 01:26 AM

A lot of people are making the switch to the D4 fro JConcepts due to the price difference..

I hate saying it but it is the same car essentially but a lot cheaper..

Not trying to offend anyone, in fact am very impressed with the pricing of the D4 and parts... well done in that department

I just dont think JConcepts can compete with the pricing and the parts availability can they?

Not in Aus they cant anyway :)

Teddy truman 20-04-2007 06:56 AM

not having a stab back at you but the D4 is no BJ:). with almost the same setups on the D4 and BJ they handle nothing like each other! i know just by looking at the D4 everyone has come to the conclusion that ooooooo its a BJ but i will point out again as someone from experience its not lol :D

GRIFF55 20-04-2007 09:45 AM

What sort of handling differences are there? I like quite a twitchy car(i know setup could get this) so which is better? I am in the market for one of these two, so any help on decision making would be greatful(non biased);)

Teddy truman 20-04-2007 11:03 AM

well if you like steering my car is not short of that! i am running a oneway in the front as i have always done in my 4WD cars as i like lots of steering but even with a diff it is not short of steering. I am still learning alot about the car as its nothing like i have driven before but i really like it. :)

BradR 20-04-2007 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teddy truman (Post 34414)
with almost the same setups on the D4 and BJ they handle nothing like each other!

That's odd. At the Cactus Classic last month, Hara said he was running the "Tebo" setup he found online. :rolleyes:

Lindsay 20-04-2007 11:42 AM

Brad
Adam & Tony are running their D4 cars on English style tracks and doing a lot of development for the European style tracks they are not doing for it for the American Market.

Teddy truman 20-04-2007 12:23 PM

Did Hara run a BJ setup (Tebo's) all the time he was at the cactus? he didnt just use it as a start setup? you have to remember this is a new car and you need somewhere to start.:)

Adam Skelding 20-04-2007 08:59 PM

We all know different people like different set-ups....
I have Hara's from cactus and Hayato's from Yatabe..... the desinger now has ours from EU grass and dirt tracks and we're quickly working to sorting the set-up out..
So far I've been well impressed how easy the D4 responds to small changes... It doesn't bite you in the ass when you make a change...

Personally, I hated one-ways in the Losi... Always snapping them made me take 'em out and suffer the consequences.. After Tivvy. I don't think the One-way will be coming out of the D4....

TT: I have a set-up sheet to send you...

Jimmy: Any chance of setting up a set-ups page... I have pdf's to post????

jimmy 20-04-2007 09:16 PM

My one way isn't coming out of the 501X or the BJ4we either, its just so nice to drive. Harder for sure, but I don't like the numb feeling of a diff up front.

Ofcourse Adam, I will set that up now.

When is the car released?

Ron Burgundy 23-04-2007 12:06 AM

Hara did run the TEBO setup at Cactus which in the nature of things of course will change due to driver etc, if it is a starting point for a driver with the team backing and R&D of Hot Bodies, does that not assume they are very very similar.

Do you not think after the huge amount of hours put in by the Japanese drivers in practice and leading up to the event at places like SoCal, HotRod etc mid week, they would have a "whatever his name is in japanese" setup

There was a D4 recently at our Aust Nationals and guess what, the TEBO setup was the starting point and basis of which ALL D4 setups are based..

joffacn 23-04-2007 03:02 AM

Hi

I have just ordered my D4 from RC-Champ ~ 383 USD plus shipping etc..
Now the wait for delivery and when can I get to Hong Kong from the mainland to pick it up.

Jeff

tc2k 23-04-2007 06:33 PM

Saw one yesterday, damn it looks nice

gramey 23-04-2007 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy (Post 34621)
My one way isn't coming out of the 501X or the BJ4we either, its just so nice to drive. Harder for sure, but I don't like the numb feeling of a diff up front.

Ofcourse Adam, I will set that up now.

When is the car released?

:) Anyone got an answer to that question for the U.K., is it still 1st May as intended?:)

Adam Skelding 24-04-2007 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramey (Post 35218)
:) Anyone got an answer to that question for the U.K., is it still 1st May as intended?:)

Expect 1st of May or very near....

gramey 24-04-2007 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joffacn (Post 35007)
Hi

I have just ordered my D4 from RC-Champ ~ 383 USD plus shipping etc..
Now the wait for delivery and when can I get to Hong Kong from the mainland to pick it up.

Jeff

:) Do you have a link for this as I did a search on their site but couldn't find anything from HB only Tamiya?:)