oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wanted (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I GOT WHAT YOU NEEDZ (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125858)

jimmy 01-04-2013 11:30 AM

I GOT WHAT YOU NEEDZ

Again - PLEASE BE AWARE OF A NEW USER OFFERING EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT FOR BEST PRICE BOSS.

Using photos is now rare - looking at the latest scams this mid-west wanker is using a combination of photos (stolen usually from rctech.net, or google images) or a link to an ebay auction, or simply describing what you want as something he's barely used and giving it away at a good price as it's no longer needed.

Latest username is tomthedon. Remember - ASK if you aren't sure.

Going to a 'subscription' based trade section where you pay a minimal fee for a year or for life and it would add a nice lil special badge or some such thing to your profile would be useful. This guy no longer operates (usually) in the forsale section as his ads are too easy to spot - so he works the PM angle and contacts people directly out of the eyes of other people.

If people think there should be a subscription to help PROTECT users add your voice below. I'll put a poll in the general chat section also I think.

paulc 01-04-2013 11:41 AM

Yeah i agree with the subscription thing plus on other forums new members have to make say 10 to 20 other posts in other sections of that forum before being allowed to post in the for sale section witch i think would be agood idea too

jimmy 01-04-2013 11:55 AM

Yeah that's something I could do Paul - the way he operates now using PM however is impossible to police, or at least quite hard as it requires constant monitoring of new users joining.

eyeayen 01-04-2013 02:30 PM

Have a minimum post count of 50 or 100 Jimmy before they can even see the for sale section, and then perhaps get them to apply for it before they can use the trade section. It works on another forum I visit.

That way the for sale section wouldn't be visable and would deter scammers purely for that reason. Then if they have to apply to have it unlocked once their post count qualifies at least their IP address could be checked.

TARTMAN 03-04-2013 09:07 PM

Problem

Its the PM's, private messages that whoever sends people from the wanted adds i guess. so if the trade section(all classified parts) are invisable from new users till maybe 50 posts and 3 months or suchlike, then that could work.

nites 29-04-2013 05:22 PM

Hi.
I think that maybe the time being a member and/or a contribution with a badge? would be better than the amount of posts a member has made.
I say this as i have been a member for maybe 3 years but only have 32 posts to my name.........i'm on oople quite a few times a day looking up the info i want or that has recently been posted instead of swelling the site with re-posts of questions already asked.
One of the biggest parts of the site for me is the trade section as there's lots of good stuff on there.
Just my 2pence worth but i think it could make a mess of this great thing that oople is if people posted all sorts of crap just to buy or sell an obscure part that's never going to be on evilbay.
Tony.

SimonW 29-04-2013 08:45 PM

Could go for the 'nominated' angle, a set amount of 'real' friends who can vouch for you before you can access/view the trade section and an automatic feedback thread setup for you too, so that there isn't 2-3 like i have.

Cream 29-04-2013 09:04 PM

It very difficult to police, Especially as you say they often work via PM's rather than the for sale section. More than happy to contribute towards the forum/for sale section.

In fact would love my own section so get the new server up and running ;)

Col 29-04-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonW (Post 769996)
Could go for the 'nominated' angle, a set amount of 'real' friends who can vouch for you before you can access/view the trade section and an automatic feedback thread setup for you too, so that there isn't 2-3 like i have.

I can only find 1 for you, last used 2009.
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21178