oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tamiya (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   COBRA Racing TRF211 Layback Build. (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202241)

xfactor 16-03-2019 08:23 PM

COBRA Racing TRF211 Layback Build.

Hi all,

For those who are interested, I will be building a COBRA Racing TRF211 Layback.

I have been in talks with COBRA Racing and shown them what I wanted.

COBRA Racing did exactly what I wanted to perfection and I collected the COBRA Racing TRF211 Chassis and parts today.

I will post pictures of what they did for me shortly. The kit will be sent off to be anodised. One complete I will post pictures of the COBRA Racing TRF211 Kit anodised how I want it.

A nice part of the kit is the motor plate. This braces to the COBRA Chassis and removes the Waterfall.

I will be using the CY 3 Gear Layback gearbox for this build as it allows the motor approx. 10mm back from the Laydown gearbox and all the standard bearings, idlers, diffs fit.....

Once complete I will be looking at choice of body shells.

Pictures coming now.....:thumbsup:

xfactor 16-03-2019 08:51 PM

COBRA Racing TRF211 Layback Kit.

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the pictures of the COBRA Racing TRF211 Layback kit....

CLICK TO ENLARGE......:thumbsup:

ThunderDragonCy 17-03-2019 05:00 PM

Excited to see how this comes together. What is special about the chassis?

xfactor 17-03-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderDragonCy (Post 997582)
Excited to see how this comes together. What is special about the chassis?

Hi CY,

The chassis is the only one made at this moment in time. I wanted the chassis machining and told COBRA what and where I wanted it machining. This was carried out to perfection, exactly what I wanted....:thumbsup:

Got the Layback coming, along with the small gear cover for it......;)

ThunderDragonCy 18-03-2019 12:21 PM

Spotted the purchase on my store notifications. The spur gear cover is for a maximum 80t spur gear. With a 22t pinion (smallest that will go according to CAD, you may squeeze a 21t in reality) you'll get a 9.45 FDR. My 78t spur fits with ease, but I run a 27/78 gearing for a 10.5 motor. If you need a bigger spur to gear down for a hot motor then you may need to ditch the cover and get the spacer instead, but an 84t spur might start getting pretty close to the rear axle. It's all a bit tight for the packaging on the layback.

Chassis looks great.

xfactor 18-03-2019 02:23 PM

Hi CY,

The gearing will be fine. I normally run 23/24 pinion with 78/79 spur with 7.5/8.5.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

daz75 18-03-2019 04:27 PM

will these fit?

http://www.mardave.co.uk/spares/cobra

:woot:

ThunderDragonCy 18-03-2019 09:14 PM

You'll fine fine then. Excellent!

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfactor (Post 997604)
Hi CY,

The gearing will be fine. I normally run 23/24 pinion with 78/79 spur with 7.5/8.5.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

ThunderDragonCy 18-03-2019 09:15 PM

Which part? That link has a big list of spares. Any 48dp up to 80t spur which runs on the Tamiya lay shaft will fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daz75 (Post 997605)

ThunderDragonCy 18-03-2019 09:23 PM

In case anyone is interested, this conversion plus a full laydown option for tamiya 2wd buggies, plus some other tamiya bits are on my Shapeways store CTE RC

The parts being used here are the Layback transmission, which is basically a short laydown type, using the 27t tamiya idler instead a larger idler of the Laydown transmission. This keeps the cg low, but moves the motor 9mm rearward for more traction. All the parts you need are listed with links on the Shapeways product descriptions. You also needs some carbon parts from fibre lyte.

Feel free to ask questions. Sorry for the thread hijack Mark!

xfactor 20-03-2019 07:47 PM

Just an update.

COBRA TRF211 Kit has been sent off today to be anodised. As soon as I have it back I will post pictures.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

charlesk 20-03-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfactor (Post 997669)
Just an update.

COBRA TRF201 Kit has been sent off today to be anodised. As soon as I have it back I will post pictures.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Who do you use, got a couple of bits I could do with going...

xfactor 21-03-2019 08:52 PM

Anodising.

I should have the COBRA TRF211 Chassis kit back tomorrow from anodising.

I have gone for,

Chassis (Bronze)
Motor Plate (Bronze)
Motor Brace (Bronze)

Chassis side braces (Black)
Battery Brace (Black)

As soon as I have it I will post pictures............:thumbsup:

xfactor 22-03-2019 07:16 PM

Anodising

5 Attachment(s)
Got the COBRA Racing TRF211 Kit back today. Absolutely stunning work. Really pleased with the finish and colour....

Just waiting on the gearbox to turn up then the build can start.....:thumbsup:

CLICK TO ENLARGE PICTURES.....

xfactor 23-03-2019 05:29 PM

Start......

1 Attachment(s)
So I have managed to make a start on the COBRA TRF211.

Pictures show Steering base, Three TRF Blue posts, COBRA TRF Side rails fitted. Battery base is fitted just for picture to show how it will look complete. This will be removed for rest of build....:thumbsup:

CLICK TO ENLARGE......

xfactor 24-03-2019 07:55 PM

Front End.

4 Attachment(s)
Front end fitted with 0 front brass pivot block, TRF Turnbuckles, TRF Big Bores, TRF Servo mounts, TRF Servo Horn, SRT Servo and XA 15g Rear Inner Hinge Pin Holder.

Everything went on the chassis to perfection.........:thumbsup:

CLICK TO ENLARGE......:thumbsup:

ThunderDragonCy 24-03-2019 09:13 PM

Looks fantastic. This is going to be such a sweet buggy.

xfactor 24-03-2019 09:25 PM

Thank you Cy.

Spoke with Fybre Lyte about your rear tower. Should be here this week. Just waiting on the gearbox then.........:thumbsup::thumbsup:

xfactor 26-03-2019 08:59 PM

Gearbox.

So had the Gearbox come from SHAPEWAYS yesterday. Must say fantastic service by these guys......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

As for the gearbox. Fantastic quality and fit of internals. All free and a perfect fit inside. Ive gone for a ball diff to try first and this fitted as per the TAMIYA Manual, so shows how good this gearbox fit inside is. Just x2 shims either side the ball diff and perfect side to side movement.

I went for the,

Ball Diff
Light weight slipper plates
Light weight TRF Blue Idler gear shaft
Tamiya Teflon sealed bearings
New slipper shaft and gear.
Associated Slipper Pads
RDRP Drilled spur gear.
COBRA Racing Motor Plate anodised in Bronze...

Slipper fitted perfect with no rubbing on the back plate...:thumbsup:
Spur Gear cover, AWESOME !!!! fits perfect.

The gearbox is made up ready to fit to the chassis tomorrow. Heres the pictures of how I received the gearbox and progress so far.

xfactor 26-03-2019 09:03 PM

Pictures Gearbox....

9 Attachment(s)
Here's the picture..............:thumbsup::thumbsup: