oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Team Durango (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   DESC410R - SHORT COURSE SETUP (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65357)

jimmy 12-03-2011 07:49 PM

DESC410R - SHORT COURSE SETUP

Hey, here's a sticky for talking about setups for the SC Durango.

ryanlownie 12-03-2011 10:14 PM

I need some info on servo saver setups, the manual doesn't seem to show how far the nut should be tightened. I've tested it by hand and it seems ok, but a recommended setup would be good!

stegger 12-03-2011 10:18 PM

Won't it be the same as the 410 ? Nah scratch that it's totally different ;)

telboy 12-03-2011 11:31 PM

I recommend putting threadlock on the adjustment nut and the screw that fixes it to the servo. I've had both come loose. Suppose I should have been more safe and applied it to start with, but i didn't. If the screw comes out, you loose the spring and everything if you're not lucky.

If you don't have the roll bar set, i would recommend that too. I don't have it so have put 1000cst all round in the shocks (for indoors) just to stop it rolling or digging in too much.

mobilow 03-04-2011 09:11 AM

DESC410R Gear Ratios

Hi I just tested my DESC for a few batteries and have to tell you I am very impressed, switching from a Slash4x4 is a major difference ...but what about
gearing ratio recommendations ? I actually run a LRP 6.5 540 Motor with a 17 teeth pinion and the motor starts to heat up very much ...So I would like to switch to a 550 Motor, but not having any Module 1 pinions I wondered if someone already had experience with 550 Motors in the durango ? So what sizes do I should start purshasing pinions ...
Any recommendations about motors 550 ? I am struggling between LRP and Novak.

A short recommendation for the kit set up: Insert a 7mm washer in the inside of the rear shock body under the pistons, the droop the car originally had is way too much and the car will body roll a lot.

Culetto 04-04-2011 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobilow (Post 485089)
Hi I just tested my DESC for a few batteries and have to tell you I am very impressed, switching from a Slash4x4 is a major difference ...but what about
gearing ratio recommendations ? I actually run a LRP 6.5 540 Motor with a 17 teeth pinion and the motor starts to heat up very much ...So I would like to switch to a 550 Motor, but not having any Module 1 pinions I wondered if someone already had experience with 550 Motors in the durango ? So what sizes do I should start purshasing pinions ...

A short recommendation for the kit set up: Insert a 7mm washer in the inside of the rear shock body under the pistons, the droop the car originally had is way too much and the car will body roll a lot.

If you want to go up to the mod1 pinions its more a question of how big your track is and what wind of 550 you are thinking of. Assuming just a general range and a 5.5t or a 4.5t i would start with 12-15t pinions. I run a 5.5t Novak Ballistic motor in mine and run 13t indoors on a medium sized track and 14t or 15t on the bigger outdoor track thats just loamy wet dirt. If you were going to run the 4.5t you may want to go down a tooth. This truck doesnt need mind blowing throttle like the old generation of 4wd SCTs. The old gen trucks (jammin,hyper,traxxas) laps went like this "fight through the turn with poor steering, blast full throttle to the next turn, fight some more with poor steering, full throttle to the next turn" etc. This truck you can actually cut your throttle way back and focus on your lines.:thumbsup:

jimmy 04-04-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobilow (Post 485089)

I ran the Tekin 6.5 motor (540) with 23T pinion!!! You are very undergeared I think.
I would like to try one of the high-torque rotors for the Tekin motor and I think you can get such things for your LRP also. I haven't tried a 550 motor.

area52 04-04-2011 09:35 AM

We run a 20T pinion in our review truck with a 5.5T LRP Vector X12 OctaWind. The motor gets some temperature but is far away from being too hot.

mobilow 08-04-2011 04:10 PM

thanks for the answers, but does undergearing also create overheating ? I will test a few pinions this weekend. Our home track is not very big, but very technical (MVB in NL) , and I already was blown away of the way the truck handles. For the 550 I will get a 6.5 Novak I guess, I need torque and not so much speed.
With the Slash 4x4 I used a Graupner Stock 10.5 that produces nearly 600 watt and is so powerfull in torque that you nearly cant rotate it by hand...very impressive motor but the rotor axle came loose a second time so looking for something new... and reliable.

Culetto 12-04-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobilow (Post 487654)
thanks for the answers, but does undergearing also create overheating ? I will test a few pinions this weekend. Our home track is not very big, but very technical (MVB in NL) , and I already was blown away of the way the truck handles. For the 550 I will get a 6.5 Novak I guess, I need torque and not so much speed.
With the Slash 4x4 I used a Graupner Stock 10.5 that produces nearly 600 watt and is so powerfull in torque that you nearly cant rotate it by hand...very impressive motor but the rotor axle came loose a second time so looking for something new... and reliable.

Undergearing can create heat issues however this truck is funny about torque.

I thought the same thing coming from the older gen 4wd SCT's and was playing with gearing, motor combo's, even higher c batteries trying to get it to unleash like the older vehicles. In all honesty, it makes you slower. This truck doesnt like to be driven hard and tossed around, it likes to be driven more like a touring car. Its so stable and controllable all you need to do is hold your line and maintain your pace. From the drivers stand it will feel slow and punchless, mine still does, but im turning laps faster than some of the 1/8th ebuggies and once i saw a video someone shot of my truck i realized how fast it really is. Dont look for torque and punch out of the turns unless you really need it for a specific part of the track, if making that double into a triple helps your lap times that much then go for it but i think you will find that keeping this truck smooth will do a lot more for your lap times.

Video Link Here

mobilow 14-04-2011 08:08 PM

you are totally right about the way the car handles, its awsome. Last club race I directly won and this with just 3 batteries I drove before after assembling. The problem is that nearly everyone else is driving a 550 motor set now with 4.5 or 5.5 turns and they forced me to give a 120% so a little bit more punch will be needed to get them off my a..., still driving a 540 6.5 turns motor ...
I think about a 550 5.5 LRP set or the novak ballistic 6.5, I guess the LRP is less torquey and smoother which will support my driving style which is smooth around the track. last year I was using a 10.5 stock Graupner with a lot of torque in my Slash 4x4 but this saison with no motor limits does not work any longer...

mobilow 14-04-2011 08:18 PM

cant find it in the forum, how can I compare the Durango cts Oil viscosity with other brands like losi wt ?

Culetto 14-04-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobilow (Post 490303)
cant find it in the forum, how can I compare the Durango cts Oil viscosity with other brands like losi wt ?

Durango Shock Oil Comparison Chart

mobilow 15-04-2011 12:38 PM

thanks , crazy that I cant find it on the durango site ....:woot:

Culetto 15-04-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobilow (Post 490532)
thanks , crazy that I cant find it on the durango site ....:woot:

You have to go to 'in the pits' theres a bunch of pulldowns for different cars and tracks. Under one that says 'blanks/masters' there is a bit for tuning something. :thumbsup:

Kiixx 16-09-2011 10:05 PM

For fun

Just bought myself a DESC410R to have some fun with, gonna run some old leftover electronics in it.

5.5 ZTW Sensored 540 motor, LRP Sphere Competition esc, and a low profile 8kg Hitec servo, am running on the what 102tooth 48dp spur, and was thinking of going with a 24tooth pinion, will that be to much, should i go for 22tooth pinion instead ?

sime46 17-09-2011 07:39 PM

Have a look at Adam's setups on the TD site mate. He ran a 540 for a while. Its probably on the setup sheet somewhere. Failing that, PM him.(Adam Skelding).

Patte 10-10-2011 01:28 PM

setup problem.

Can anyone help me out with loose rear end.
The track i smooth clay with low traction.
When i release the throttle the rear end become very unstable.
I use 30 000 front 30 000 center and 10 000 rear.
It also over steer on power and under steer off power.
Any suggestion?:confused:

Dazzler 04-12-2011 01:01 PM

Carpet set-up for DESC410r

Has anybody got a decent starting setup for carpet? I've looked on TD's site, Petit RC and browsed a few forums, but can't find a completed setup sheet..

For reference, I have the centre diff rather than the locked diff..

Andyp 05-12-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dazzler (Post 590599)
Has anybody got a decent starting setup for carpet? I've looked on TD's site, Petit RC and browsed a few forums, but can't find a completed setup sheet..

For reference, I have the centre diff rather than the locked diff..

Im no expert at setups but i had a good run round last night on a mostly carpet track with a few slippy bits,

Front shocks- 1.2x6 piston, 600cst, dark red springs

Rear shocks- 1.3x6 piston, 450cst, dark red spring

Rear diff 2000cst, mid diff 5000cst, front diff 7000cst

anti roll bars all round, 1.5 front 1.3 rear taken from my DEX410

Rear shocks outer hole on the tower.

all the other links and shock mountings as per manual

schumacer yellow mini pins all round

hope this helps , i was in the same boat as you so just had a play seems to be ok but im sure it can be improved.