oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   some info about 1/8th electric rallyx please (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20629)

burgie 09-03-2009 07:24 PM

some info about 1/8th electric rallyx please

It is our club's AGM on Sunday coming, and we have a proposal to run 1/8th scale electric rally x buggies both indoors and outdoors.

The only experience I have of them is seeing one run around the track at Southport before the finals on Saturday at last years National. It looked cumbersome and slow to be completely honest. But as with all things, technology moves on, and now I hear the electric buggies are giving nitro buggies a run for their money in the speed department.

Can anybody offer some information on the cars such as;

How fast are they currently?
I know this is a difficult one to answer, but are they comparable to a good 4wd buggy with a 5.5 brushless in for example?

How heavy are they?

How quick do they accelerate?
Again I know it's a difficult one to answer, but a comparison would be useful.

What else do we need to know?
Would a 10 year old be safe marshalling one? Should all marshalls be in a protective mesh frame or something? Is a traditional 1/10th buggy track, such as Southport, a suitable venue?

As you can probably guess, I am trying to get factual information about these things so that we can make a balanced decision based upon fact and not heresay.

Stu 09-03-2009 07:31 PM

Chris - I fear they will rip the grass sections of your track to shreds.

Think of how the 10th cars take their toll, then at least double it.

Unless you want to astro it all?

James 09-03-2009 07:32 PM

It is our club's AGM on Sunday coming, and we have a proposal to run 1/8th scale electric rally x buggies both indoors and outdoors.

The only experience I have of them is seeing one run around the track at Southport before the finals on Saturday at last years National. It looked cumbersome and slow to be completely honest. But as with all things, technology moves on, and now I hear the electric buggies are giving nitro buggies a run for their money in the speed department.

Can anybody offer some information on the cars such as;

How fast are they currently?
I know this is a difficult one to answer, but are they comparable to a good 4wd buggy with a 5.5 brushless in for example?
YES

How heavy are they?
SIMILAR TO A NITRO WITH FULL FUEL TANK

How quick do they accelerate?
Again I know it's a difficult one to answer, but a comparison would be useful.
VERY POKEY, MUCH MORE THAN A NITRO

What else do we need to know?
Would a 10 year old be safe marshalling one?
NO
Should all marshalls be in a protective mesh frame or something?
YES
Is a traditional 1/10th buggy track, such as Southport, a suitable venue?
YES POSSIBLY, BUT THEYLL DESTROY THE GRASS AREAS

As you can probably guess, I am trying to get factual information about these things so that we can make a balanced decision based upon fact and not heresay.[/quote]

Stu 09-03-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smOkin (Post 216619)
Is a traditional 1/10th buggy track, such as Southport, a suitable venue?
YES POSSIBLY, BUT THEYLL DESTROY THE GRASS AREAS

Great minds, eh James.

burgie 09-03-2009 08:06 PM

thanks for the info, but how heavy is a 1/8th rally x car with a full tank of fuel?

James 09-03-2009 08:10 PM

An average weight of an electric 8th would be about 3650g

burgie 09-03-2009 08:37 PM

Wonderful - thank-you very much for all of your information.

Northy 09-03-2009 08:46 PM

It's a great new class, but I think that Southport outdoor track might be a little small for them tbh, so indoors would be worse.

I wouldn't like my 10 year old (if I had one) marshalling them. If one hit you you would know about it.

G