oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Race Chat (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   new amb system (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113675)

mark christopher 28-10-2012 07:35 PM

new amb system

seems there was some discussion at the agm re mylaps/amb, where the "new system" will not count mrt and the old amb bugs.... anyone add more light?

learnerdriver 28-10-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Big problems with rc timing and decoders for 2013 if you run rc4 the new PTs will work but MRT will not work harrys will work AMB PT(3 lug large) could be hit and miss club handout may not work.
The new percy PT will not work on rc4.
The percy transponder can be supplied as a cone.
taken from a post on maxbashing tonight :-(

Hpi_guy 28-10-2012 09:46 PM

So what's that in English?

Will my MRT PTX work?

Col 28-10-2012 10:04 PM

Which AGM was this?

Ross 28-10-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hpi_guy (Post 708371)
So what's that in English?

Will my MRT PTX work?

My understanding is decoders will be upgraded to RC4's from RC3's, not sure what that means. The old style AMB's may not work with RC4 and MRT's will not work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col (Post 708379)
Which AGM was this?

BRCA

Hpi_guy 28-10-2012 10:22 PM

:confused: still none the wiser, is this upgrade a software or hardware upgrade?

Oli_M 28-10-2012 10:27 PM

We visited MyLaps headquarters in the Netherlands when we were over there for the Worlds earlier in the year. Got to tour the facility and had a detailed presentation about what they were planning in the future.

The info we received at that time was that, yes there is a new style of transponder and decoder on the way soon, but the existing PTs (original red PTs) will continue to be supported by the new system - they acknowledged that a lot of people out there already had the original transponders and would be a terrible idea if those no longer were compatible!

The "new" system will offer an additional digit (so you can keep the same number for all your cars, but identify each one separately - useful when practising in particular). The current models of PT will be detected, but just won't have this extra function.

So either someone's got the wrong end of the stick here, or MyLaps have significantly changed their strategy in the last 3 months!

knighthawk 28-10-2012 10:28 PM

I heard that its a hardware upgrade, ie a new decoder unit !
This has been said on a couple forums about the MRT Transponder
will be incompatable with future decoders.

But I was unaware that the older AMB Transponder's would be affected !

Chequered Flag Racing 28-10-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knighthawk (Post 708390)
This has been said on a couple forums about the MRT Transponder
will be incompatable with future decoders.

that's going to upset a lot of MRT PT users worldwide not just in the UK if that's the case

Hpi_guy 28-10-2012 10:37 PM

I can't imagine that they would do that without upgrading everyone's pt for free to become compatible with the new system, it would either kill my laps or all rc timing gear

Ross 28-10-2012 10:38 PM

Sounds like i got the AMB part of it wrong then :) sorry.

knighthawk 28-10-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chequered Flag Racing (Post 708393)
that's going to upset a lot of MRT PT users worldwide not just in the UK if that's the case

I'm not sure either way chap !!
But MRT and MyLaps are two different companies, MyLaps being the one putting all the time, money and resource's into making the system
MRT cashed in !
The age old saying comes to mind !
Buy cheap - Buy twice

jimbot 28-10-2012 10:46 PM

This was discussed at the brca agm today.
The issue is if someone buys the new transponder percy it will only work with rc4 the new decoder.
The new decoder will not pick up all the mrt signal and they will miss laps.
In short the new system is much better but you will need harry or percy transponders to use it.
So if anyone has an older transponder they will need to upgrade.
The new system is much better all rc3 decoders get a free upgrade.
The problem for clubs is when to move over to rc4!
We have major issues with mrt and number clashes in 1/8 off road this will be removed.
The new percy transponder can be supplied as a cone the computer will have a model reference agains this clone to stop 2 cars being used.
Clubs will have to decide what route to follow.
Jim

Si Coe 28-10-2012 10:47 PM

I doubt the new system will be deliberately incompatible with MRT transponders, but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if it was accidentally incompatible.
By that I mean that when doing backwards compatibility tests Mylaps never actually tried with an MRT transponder to see if it works or not. However, since they are functionally identical to the old AMB's as far as the loop/decoder goes I can't see how that can happen.

What sounds more likely is that with the new numbering system Mylaps will need a better track of who owns which numbers (so you can have xxxxxxx1 in one car and xxxxxxx2 in another) and maybe make a big central database. All those MRT's floating around with non-original numbers might cause some issues there as you'll get several people (worldwide) with the same 'unique' number.

knighthawk 28-10-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hpi_guy (Post 708394)
I can't imagine that they would do that without upgrading everyone's pt for free to become compatible with the new system, it would either kill my laps or all rc timing gear

Giving the whole world free transponders !
That would bust the company in a nano second, not gonna happen !

As with most things in the world, if you want to stay upto date you are expected to purchase the new equipment !!

But as I understand it, AMB/MyLaps Transponders will be supported with no issues

But not sure if MRT will be !

Ross 28-10-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knighthawk (Post 708402)
Giving the whole world free transponders !
That would bust the company in a nano second, not gonna happen !

As with most things in the world, if you want to stay upto date you are expected to purchase the new equipment !!

But as I understand it, AMB/MyLaps Transponders will be supported with no issues

But not sure if MRT will be !

I hope your correct . I have 1 Harry,2 AMB and an MRT, I don't mind changing 1 of them but not 3, it will be the end othe hobby for me.

Rich D 29-10-2012 12:10 AM

Some clarification would be good if possible. I have three MRT PT's. never had any trouble or issue with any of them nor any clashed numbers. If it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind. Hate to jump to conclusions but this does read as another unnecessary money spinner upon first impressions. :thumbdown:

I hope I'm wrong.

racingdwarf 29-10-2012 12:42 AM

hmm, so as I see it, harrys are good, the new percys are good ,MRT's are for the bin.

Thing that needs to be really clear when an announcement is made is are the original three lug PT's (pre harrys) not going to work?
Nice move if it will not as we bought a load with our club system,back then they were 40 quid a go I still run 2 in the kids cars, just remind me how much is the new one I need to buy:mad:

But if I buy a new percy it's not going to work at any of my local clubs.....

Dazzler 29-10-2012 03:25 AM

A look back in time..

2 Attachment(s)
So when Harry's were first introduced / announced, this was some of the key information povided: - http://www.bbkrclive.com/2010/Offroa.../RC4System.pdf

It covers most of what is being proposed. (Ommiting any backwards compatabillity issues)

RC4 firmware is a free upgrade of Firmware on RC3 decoders - or atleast that is how our RC3 decoder was sold to us. (See attached image - Decoder Upgrade Info taken from BBK site).

In contrast to this, the MyLaps site would have you believe it's not free.. (See attached image - MyLaps Upgrade). I think this may be a version related issue.

I'm suprised to read there is a new PT (Percy) offering the same features promissed with the Harry, but which haven't come to fruition after such a long time.

Hopefully Rob at BBK will provide all the facts and put us all straight. (or light the blue touch paper) :woot:

Certainly as a club, it is imperative that we fully understand the implications of carrying out the upgrade prior to doing so.

stumpiey 29-10-2012 06:54 AM

if this is so that the MRT wont work on the RC4 decoder and the older amb's might thats an awful lot to change.
it also will kill the 2nd had price of an MRT, might be ok selling at a club that wont be upgrading the decoder, but on forums it will be worthless really:mad:

iv had the same mtr in my cars for three years and it has not missed a lap anywhere, even at herts where we get told there maybe an issue each time we go there