oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   1/8 Nitro Off Road / Rallycross (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   8th & Truggys at J28M1 // 26th Nov 2006 (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1584)

jimmy 26-11-2006 08:57 PM

8th & Truggys at J28M1 // 26th Nov 2006

Went to Junction 28 M1 track today with the RACER magazine HN CRT RTR truggy. My first time Nitro racing and it was a great laugh.
Here are a few photos

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/j28m1-261106/

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/j28m1...s/j28m1-50.jpg

telboy 26-11-2006 09:58 PM

nice work jimbo,
looked nice and dry for ya all.
strange that they should all do their cars the same colour.......BROWN!:eh?:

xx4-nutter 26-11-2006 10:40 PM

well done jimmy anouther fine job :D

jimmy 26-11-2006 11:19 PM

somet a bit different int it. I just like this off road madness with knobbly tyres and stuff its ace.. haha.

Thanks to bruce thompson, dave grunill, ian barnard and "unknown truggy guy" for helping me get my CRT working and running well.

losixxx 26-11-2006 11:44 PM

on about 1/8th, they had 2 1/8th rallyx cars at coventry today, with

14.4v brushless motors in, how quick!!:o

footey 27-11-2006 01:40 PM

hi jimmy that looks really good fun i was thinking of going 1/5 scale but might go to 1/8 can u tell me a good buggy/truggy to start with and how much it costs to race at that venue the car doesnt need to be the best but just allround competitive

jimmy 27-11-2006 01:51 PM

Theres loads to choose from and they all look the same! haha. The reason I got a Hong Nor CRT is nothing to do with the review I did of it for RACER - that came about because I was already interested in buying the truck because it looks to be one of the best around with good support too.

Is it a truck or buggy you're after ? I know dave grunill likes his Xray buggy, Chris lee likes his Kyosho 777, Barney likes his Hyper8 etc etc.

My HongNor truggy is great, its the ready to run and it was superb yesterday. things failed on it 3 times but they were due to the review and taking the car apart - then not putting it back together properly (with proper loctite). nothing broke, the tyres last forever, just a bit of fuel and the entry fee - a bit steep at 9 quid for a race day, but you get a good ammount of racing time and its a great track.

Ive not raced an 8th buggy but I wouldn't mind it - the truggys are loads of fun tho and I can't wait to go again. Got home last night, jetwashed it and sprayed it with wd40 - done! :)

footey 27-11-2006 02:20 PM

cheers jimmy im defo liking the truggy i saw u with at batley regional do u race that against buggys or against the same type also where is that track which town or city is it close to cheers

jimmy 27-11-2006 02:27 PM

Yeah, there were 2 heats of Truggys like mine yesterday. The track is called j28m1 - in other words its junction 28 of the M1 which is near or at Mansfield. Even in the mud, its ace. It is a bit too rough for 10th scale but bigger cars are ace there. I will definately consider taking my review cars down there for photos some time since its only 3 quid for a days practice and you can go down mid week.

The truggys are just a bit more forgiving, they are really wide and stable and take some insane amounts of abuse. There are loads to choose from but like I said the CRT like mine and the pro version are the most popular from what I can see, and rightly so.

footey 27-11-2006 02:39 PM

hi jimmy i no im a nuisance but what price is urs ie rtr and have u fitted any extras ;)

footey 27-11-2006 02:41 PM

also i dint see the review is it on here or do u have a link or out

jimmy 27-11-2006 02:59 PM

its in the November (released in october) issue of RACER magazine, not on here im afriad.

I think the RTR is around 340 in the shops, might be available cheaper than that. if you the stock servos are ok, the throttle/brake servo is just a standard one so doesnt pull the brakes that hard but its ok. the steering is a decent metal gear futaba and does a good job, not as good as the 90 quid KO that I put in there (had it laying around) but its pretty good.
The shocks and suspension etc are the same as the PRO car. the alloy bits like tower etc are not as thick or fancy. the one thing is really does need is an alloy chassis brace for the rear, not sure how much these are but you can see a pic of mine in the "smelly stuff" forum. The engine is good, its a pull start so can get a bit tiring if its being stubborn but its not too hard.

check out www.s-m-d.co.uk for some more info, thats the distributor.

dave g 27-11-2006 03:19 PM

as jimmy says,any of the current crop of buggies and truggies will do nicely,avoid the cheap ebay specials like the tornado,bazooka etc,go for a hong nor,xray,mugen,xtm or kyosho and you wont go wrong.
jimmys hong nor went well on sunday and as he says,user error was at fault not the car.

the conditions on sunday werent the nicest to drive or marshall in but you cant help but smile when driving these things,so much fun...tyres last a while,certainly longer than electric anyways.

you dont need to spend hundreds on engines too,£80-£130 will get you a cracking engine,im running an sts 21b engine(£85) and its as quick as anything else on the track.

im only running a standard ko servo on the throttle/brake and i can still make the car stand on its nose if i turn the brakes up :)

dave

footey 27-11-2006 04:22 PM

so will a rtr buggy or truggy do as i see u can get buggys with no engine and then u got to buy a engine also ive seen one with 2 engines fitted r these legal to use

footey 27-11-2006 04:24 PM

its a hot bodies gtx2

dave g 27-11-2006 04:24 PM

a rtr will do you fine,only single engines allowed.

dave g 27-11-2006 04:27 PM

sorry but you need a single engine..while i suppose yu could run it at some meetings it wont be any faster round the track than a single engine truck..and 2 engines are no good for a beginner to cope with.

just buy a single engined rtr buggy or truggy.

dave

footey 27-11-2006 04:28 PM

cheers dave so then for a race meeting what sort of cost if u dont break out ie entrance fuel

dave g 27-11-2006 04:56 PM

entrance fee varies track to track,at the nook in wakefield its £6 for members and practice sundays are free all day,j28 is £9 for a days racing,not sure on other tracks to be honest but they are all roughly the same price.

the beauty of nitro is long runtimes and 20 min A finals :)

dave

footey 27-11-2006 05:58 PM

do they allow watching as id like to go and have a look also whens the next race meetings