oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Team Losi Racing (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   22 3.0 Laydow transmission conversion is here (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178302)

stefke 24-03-2016 02:54 PM

22 3.0 Laydow transmission conversion is here

It's announced :

http://www.redrc.net/2016/03/tlr-22-...on-conversion/

On the TLR websit the RRP is 180$ !!! :cry:

mes 24-03-2016 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefke (Post 944217)
It's announced :

http://www.redrc.net/2016/03/tlr-22-...on-conversion/

On the TLR websit the SRP is 180$ !!! :cry:

Considering the contents of the package I'd say it is not cheap but fair: Transmission case and motor plate, chassis plate, aluminium hubs, body, brass weight, cf battery strap.

Manual is already online:
http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...nual-Multi.pdf

NeilRalph77 24-03-2016 04:18 PM

It's not exactly going to be a quick trackside swap over.

RobW 24-03-2016 04:35 PM

Yes I would say that is about fair considering what you get. I guess $180 will end up being close to £150-180.

Definitely not a trackside conversion so would be nice to see a kit as well.

Suppose I ought to get my standard 3.0 going before I start thinking about one of these!

Rob

discothesnake 24-03-2016 06:31 PM

The standard car is quick so it'll be good to see if it's even better in that guise.

Can't understand why the alloy hubs are in the kit? Why would you need them?

No. 46 24-03-2016 08:18 PM

The rear hubs might have different pick up points compared to the standard hubs

NeilRalph77 24-03-2016 08:18 PM

With the current trend for multiple 2wd's from most manufacturers I think TLR would have got away with releasing it as a kit without much fuss, as it stands I can see people cherry picking the gearbox parts and drilling the standard chassis to suit.

bretts 24-03-2016 08:50 PM

...and from looking at the holes you can't mount the standard gearbox on the new chassis either, no quick swap over then.

mes 25-03-2016 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discothesnake (Post 944229)
The standard car is quick so it'll be good to see if it's even better in that guise.

Can't understand why the alloy hubs are in the kit? Why would you need them?

I bet it is to increase value for money. The gearbox is machined from delrin and won't be cheap to produce, whereas TLR sells the new hubs as low as USD32.-

For a conversion, it is a good package, but I am not sure if I'll buy it as I've got my YZ-2 for really high-grip. I'd probably have bought a full kit without flinching, but having half a car lying around after doing the conversion, I don't know...

Origineelreclamebord 25-03-2016 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mes (Post 944262)
I bet it is to increase value for money. The gearbox is machined from delrin and won't be cheap to produce, whereas TLR sells the new hubs as low as USD32.-

For a conversion, it is a good package, but I am not sure if I'll buy it as I've got my YZ-2 for really high-grip. I'd probably have bought a full kit without flinching, but having half a car lying around after doing the conversion, I don't know...

Where did you find the info that the gear casing is machined? I find it an odd choice for the final product, unless they're considering to sell only a few lowrider gearboxes at all or before releasing something else...

mes 25-03-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord (Post 944263)
Where did you find the info that the gear casing is machined? I find it an odd choice for the final product, unless they're considering to sell only a few lowrider gearboxes at all or before releasing something else...

I was struck by the rated price of approx USD 80.- and decided to ask Frank Root. I am not sure what to think of it. Either they have something planned for the future or they just want to do the astro community a favour. Steel moulds are quite expensive...

stefke 25-03-2016 01:25 PM

I just hope they bring out an "astro kit" or "TLR 22 3.1". Otherwise the XB2 is way more interesting to replace my 22 2.0

Si2008 25-03-2016 06:25 PM

I'm a bit disappointed they haven't just released an Astro version full kit. They may as well have done. I'd rather have the second buggy for high grip stuff as I'm slowly starting to grips with my 3.0. It works pretty well on low-mid grip but it really isn't working for me on anything high grip.

Origineelreclamebord 25-03-2016 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mes (Post 944268)
I was struck by the rated price of approx USD 80.- and decided to ask Frank Root. I am not sure what to think of it. Either they have something planned for the future or they just want to do the astro community a favour. Steel moulds are quite expensive...

Your comments have made me think... TLR's focus seems to be on the US racing community, where as far as my knowledge goes the 'regular' 3- and 4-gear layout is the way to go on the vast majority of the tracks. Their team drivers need a competitive low-rider car though, and if that exists they can't deny their customers one. Being a niche for the US market and my guess that having a low-rider kit is more of a necessity than a unique feature to have over the competition, I guess they didn't see an affordable low-rider conversion or seperate kit as the way to go.

That's all very speculative of course :) It's an expensive kit, but they're quicker to offer such an option to the public than their main (US) rival (Associated).

AfroP 25-03-2016 09:51 PM

The 22.3 is a great value for money kit.
Comes ad standard with titanium turnbuckles, a pre cut body shell, full alloy bleeder shocks, and 2 sets of wheels.
And as many have said is fully competitive out the box with kit setup.
That conversion kit looks like it provides a lot for the price compared to say the kyosho conversion.
And losi have jumped on the lay down 3 gear wagon ahead of associated who won the world's with a 3 gear lay down and still haven't produced their own. The champs ed of the b5m still has the standard gearbox

Si2008 25-03-2016 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfroP (Post 944357)
The 22.3 is a great value for money kit.
Comes ad standard with titanium turnbuckles, a pre cut body shell, full alloy bleeder shocks, and 2 sets of wheels.
And as many have said is fully competitive out the box with kit setup.
That conversion kit looks like it provides a lot for the price compared to say the kyosho conversion.
And losi have jumped on the lay down 3 gear wagon ahead of associated who won the world's with a 3 gear lay down and still haven't produced their own. The champs ed of the b5m still has the standard gearbox

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking TLR at all. I just wished they'd bought out another complete 2wd buggy for high grip. I'd have just happily bought that and run either as per track conditions.

stefke 25-03-2016 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Si2008 (Post 944362)
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking TLR at all. I just wished they'd bought out another complete 2wd buggy for high grip. I'd have just happily bought that and run either as per track conditions.

I'll second that !

lomar15 26-03-2016 09:22 AM

I third that! If you have to replace the chassis your not upgrading your car your building a new car. Just offer the car as 2 kits as per xb2. I would buy this car, for high bite carpet, but as it is now having to buy a gear diff and now a chassis and gearbox. Its almost double the cost of an xb2.

till 30-03-2016 01:02 PM

Whats the diffrence between the two chassis? The 22 3.0 chassis and the laydown chassis?

Karting 30-03-2016 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by till (Post 944857)
Whats the diffrence between the two chassis? The 22 3.0 chassis and the laydown chassis?

The pickup holes for the gearbox are different and also its milled different around the battery compartment and gearbox area