oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   12th & 10th On Road (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Which tyres for old carpet (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199841)

jon kedge 03-10-2018 08:23 AM

Which tyres for old carpet

Started to think about racing my old mr4 rally car indoors at telford on Tuesday nights on old carpet. Which tyres would you recommend now. It's been 15 years since I last done this so looking for slicks.

Cheers Jon kedge.

qatmix 03-10-2018 03:56 PM

Sorex 28's black inserts are grippy and commonly used. You will also need additive. Nowadays you cannot use oil based ones. Of the new additives I like SXT 3.0, spider grip is also popular.

Brighton27 03-10-2018 03:59 PM

Yep sorex 28 blacks work on everything really. Hudy additive is spot on too

Benjamin10th 26-10-2018 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qatmix (Post 993031)
Sorex 28's black inserts are grippy and commonly used. You will also need additive. Nowadays you cannot use oil based ones. Of the new additives I like SXT 3.0, spider grip is also popular.

I was out of the 1/10th scale for some years. What is with the oil based tire prep?

fidspeed 26-10-2018 12:30 PM

Year's ago tyre additive were mainly based on "oil of wintergreen" I can't honestly remember if it was nasty and or smelly stuff or both
Hovwever I think it's now phased out most readily available additives are OK to use but do check first
I think brca may have rules in different sections for what is currently approved
Regards Dave

Benjamin10th 05-11-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fidspeed (Post 993825)
Year's ago tyre additive were mainly based on "oil of wintergreen" I can't honestly remember if it was nasty and or smelly stuff or both
Hovwever I think it's now phased out most readily available additives are OK to use but do check first
I think brca may have rules in different sections for what is currently approved
Regards Dave

Thank you. Current prep liquids are still unhealthy, right? I used to use green soap and that always worked for me, but I'm not fighting lap times.

B.

fidspeed 06-11-2018 07:03 AM

I'm not sure of actual ingredients nowadays I use sxt 3 normally and happy with it also spider grip in blue or green formulas is popular

Regards Dave

terry.sc 06-11-2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin10th (Post 993814)
I was out of the 1/10th scale for some years. What is with the oil based tire prep?

We last used oil of wintergreen based additives 25 years ago.

Today there are two types of tyre additive, known as water based and oil based, both are fairly safe. The difference is the ingredients used, and what happens when you use them. An oil based additive can leave behind an oily residue on the track, that's fine outdoors on tarmac where it helps generate grip, but indoors on carpet the oil residue ends up in the carpet making the carpet slimy and reduces the grip for anyone not using that same additive. Outdoors any build up will get washed away, indoors it just ends up soaking into the carpet and staying there.

The BRCA 1/12 section tested additives a few years ago and produce a list of additives allowed on carpet, these water based additives don't build up in the carpet and have been tested to check they are compatible with each other so different additives can be used at the same time.

Choose whatever is popular at your local club and you can't go wrong.