oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Hot Bodies Ve8 (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28788)

leinad 12-08-2009 10:19 AM

Hot Bodies Ve8

http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/graph.../67535/001.jpg

Not sure if this has already been posted in the forum... Hot Bodies Ve8

bigchris 13-08-2009 05:06 PM

anyone know how much the kits gonna be for this?

Marvin 13-08-2009 07:09 PM

I looked at HB USA's website and the Nitro D8 is $399.99 and the Ve8 is $595.00. As the D8 is £379.99 over here, I would say you'd be looking at £550 or so, which in my opinion, is way overpriced, considering its limitations (on battery sizes, both dimensions and weight, as all the weight is down one side).

bigchris 13-08-2009 07:32 PM

thats a lotta dough considering you aint getting electrics :mad:

electric 14-08-2009 02:32 PM

yea 140mm max length battery pack WTF!?

SwisströM 16-08-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin (Post 274933)
I looked at HB USA's website and the Nitro D8 is $399.99 and the Ve8 is $595.00. As the D8 is £379.99 over here, I would say you'd be looking at £550 or so, which in my opinion, is way overpriced, considering its limitations (on battery sizes, both dimensions and weight, as all the weight is down one side).

First, hello!, I'm new on this board and I'm really interested in buying an EC 1/8 buggy.

Actually the VE8 seems pretty cheap, it's on pre-order in the USA for 295.95$ (I'm not sure if I can write the name on this board).

Seems pretty interesting, but I'm worryied about the weight L-R balance... motor and batteries on the same side???

Marvin 16-08-2009 07:04 PM

That's exactly what I'm worried about, if you want any run-time, you're going to unbalance the chassis. Not only that, it's set up for mechanical brakes, and most people don't run them in electrics now.

SwisströM 16-08-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin (Post 275739)
That's exactly what I'm worried about, if you want any run-time, you're going to unbalance the chassis. Not only that, it's set up for mechanical brakes, and most people don't run them in electrics now.

That too... I'm really not interested in mechanical brakes...

micke_b 14-09-2009 05:58 AM

I on the other had really like this buggy. The motor is actually very close to the centerline, some of it is on it even. And the mechanical breaks are superior to motor breaking for several reasons.

And I dont think right left balance will be bad. 2 servos, a diff + brakes, and an esc + rx and box on the right. Then motor on the centerline almost from the left and battery. Wont be a problem.

I think u can build it really light and low .. Just hopes it arrived soon. I'm getting one.

James 14-09-2009 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin (Post 274933)

The UK price has been on the HB/HPI UK website for quite some time, so slightly odd speculation - £299 is the RRP which is really quite reasonable ...

James 14-09-2009 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwisströM (Post 275762)
That too... I'm really not interested in mechanical brakes...

Mechanical brakes are just an option, it'll work with standard speedo braking

DaveG28 14-09-2009 09:35 AM

Just a point on the batteries, they have a sanctioned class for elec 8th in the US now, which is 10min finals, so for that runtime you don't need a massively heavy battery, which is probably why it's designed as it is!

With them running with Nitro over here, it becomes quite a disadvantage!

Marvin 14-09-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micke_b (Post 286631)
I on the other had really like this buggy. The motor is actually very close to the centerline, some of it is on it even. And the mechanical breaks are superior to motor breaking for several reasons.

And I dont think right left balance will be bad. 2 servos, a diff + brakes, and an esc + rx and box on the right. Then motor on the centerline almost from the left and battery. Wont be a problem.

I think u can build it really light and low .. Just hopes it arrived soon. I'm getting one.

Why are mechanical brakes 'superior' to motor brakes? Ok, you can adjust bias, but other than that there is no real advantage, mechanical brakes are heavier, I won't go into power consumption, as that argument can swing in either ways favour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm0kin (Post 286635)
The UK price has been on the HB/HPI UK website for quite some time, so slightly odd speculation - £299 is the RRP which is really quite reasonable ...

In fairness, at the time of the post (about a month ago), the only info about it's price was on HB USA's website, and I had nothing over here. Also considering the original listed RRP was much higher than the nitro D8. Circumstances have evidently changed, and I'll agree £299 is quite reasonable, and quite a bit cheaper than some of it's competitors.

micke_b 16-09-2009 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin (Post 286772)
Why are mechanical brakes 'superior' to motor brakes? Ok, you can adjust bias, but other than that there is no real advantage, mechanical brakes are heavier, I won't go into power consumption, as that argument can swing in either ways favour.

In fairness, at the time of the post (about a month ago), the only info about it's price was on HB USA's website, and I had nothing over here. Also considering the original listed RRP was much higher than the nitro D8. Circumstances have evidently changed, and I'll agree £299 is quite reasonable, and quite a bit cheaper than some of it's competitors.

Why they are superior? First as you I can adjust say front and read basis, and it gives it a different feel that at least I like. Second when you break on the center diff, on the spur, unless your wheels are straight all three diffs will "diff out" and you will only have break on one rear wheel. With mechanical breaks there is one less diff to worry about. But ofcourse tou are right to, there is some extra rotating mass which is never good. But for me I think it will be worth it, mainly since I like the "feel" better and the adjutabillity.

$299 a amainhobbies, I think its a really good price, most chassis cost $400 +

Marvin 17-09-2009 04:22 PM

I suppose it's all down to personal opinion. I never used brake bias as a tuning option, so I didn't feel the need to keep it.

It's an interesting point about the diffs, but I don't think the difference would be noticeable.

I agree, that's a good price for an 1/8th scale.

MHeadling 17-09-2009 10:25 PM

Who is stocking this in the uk at a good price? Apex? Or is it best to import?