View Single Post
Old 27-06-2007

Default 501x LRP Sphere + X11 (with heatsink) install

Well, I've been hard at it working out this position from that positon for the past few hours and this is where I'm up to so far. I just need to attach the motor wires (by either taking off the pre-soldered ones or make up suitable corrally female connectors) and sort out the battery leads. Then everything needs sticking down when I have the mesh and geraing sorted out.

I'm a bit dissapointed that I was unable to mount the ESC in a position that allowed me access to the motor screws, but I think the orientation works quite well and allow the slipper shaft to spin inbetween the wire terminals and the heatsink. The ESC will have to be firmly attached because if it comes loose then there be some contact between the slipper shaft and the heatsink - but not the end of the world even if it does.

Here's the pics....apologies for the poor (mobile phone) quality.

I've thought carefully about this. Initially I was going to put the ESC on the same side as the motor, but decided against this as it really limited the forward / back movement of the motor and hence would really affect motor tuning options.

I also didn't want any wires going over the top of the CF top-decks because this would make it a nightmare when doing general diff maintenance or swapping the front diff to a one-way easily at trackside.

The only thing I should ever have to move is the ESC so I can get at the motor screws in the event that I will want to swap it over for a different turn...and if I stick the ESC down with some industrial strength hook & loops and solder corrally females on the ESC motor wires then this motor swap should be relatively easy...although not as straightforward as with other cars.

And here's the finished thing...I think the detachable motor, with some lee-way in the motor wire length for adjustments will work quite well. Damn it's tight in there though!

Last edited by Fiddybux; 28-06-2007 at 09:25 PM. Reason: adding more pics