View Single Post
Old 20-04-2006

Send a message via ICQ to ApexSpeed Send a message via AIM to ApexSpeed Send a message via MSN to ApexSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to ApexSpeed Send a message via Skype™ to ApexSpeed

3M Automotive fine line tapes are the only stiping tapes I use for edging. I use 3M blue or green masking tape for larger areas, but almost never for hard edges, unless you are looking for a rough or torn edge. If I do use it for a hard edge, I will cut pieces by hand from a glass plate with an Xacto knife and use pieces to edge, but I always burnish down before spraying anything. I never use rattle cans, either, because it will run and bleed through everything.

3M also now makes a smooth blue masking tape that doesn't have the typical masking tape crinkles in the surface. Pretty nice stuff.

Dively's Liquid Mask is the only stuff I'll use for freeform masking. It can be tougher to use if you aren't good with a knife. I don't recommend it for everyone. If you do use it, you need MANY coats applied with a foam wall painting brush, dried with a heat gun or hair drier. If you don't use plenty of coats (I have used up to 10 coats for detail work), you will have a nasty time removing it when you need to.

I also cut Avery low-tac masking vinyl from the plotter. You can do some interesting things with reverse masks. Doug Summers of RCbodz paint uses logo masks and paints them on. He does a lot of stuff for RCextreme Magazine. Great painter, BTW.

Airbrush frisket is also a great tool for hand-drawn stencil needs. It's low tack enough and cuts very easily. Plus, you can re-position it after you pull it off, to use in multiple forms or locations. Art stors carry it in sheets.

Hope this helps,

doug