View Single Post
Old 13-06-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G
Default Never heard of this breaking!

On thursday I was off up to Oswestry club. we were having a bit of a play like you do on the dual carriageway up from Shrewsbury and under moderate braking I heard a knock or a bang. I thought at the time I must have just clipped a cat's eye or something.

Next roundabout the brake pedal felt slightly longer to press. Something that was a bit alarming haha. Ray said it must be in my head so we carried on. No unusual noises from the car at this time.

On inspection at Os' there were no obvious signs of a brake pipe split or anything like that.

On the way home the alarm went off on the dash and the car was making a horrible grinding when cornering left. I thought a bearing must have got some play in it, although I'd replace both front bearings only a month ago.

So I jacked up the o/s/f thinking this was the suspect corner. nothing. the wheel span freely with no bearing wobble and the pads looked healthy. then it started to rain so I went indoors. After the rain had stopped I jacked up the rear and checked those 2. both ok. then the n/s/f... Masses of play in the bearing . The Mrs was in a rush so I didn't take the wheel off, but though I would just inspect the 30mm nut on the driveshaft as that nut has come loose in the past. Popped off the centre cap and the 30mm nut fell on the floor with an inch of thread from the driveshaft in it!

I have never in all the years I've been working on cars seen this happen. the end of the driveshaft had snapped off!