View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

just seen this

Right, it quite normal for a new engine to be this tight. as has been said an engine warmer is a good thing but in my 15 years of rallyx I've never owned one.

1st off make sure your box is fully charged, then remove plug from engine and put a small amount of after run down the hole to give the piston some lube.
Make sure the engine has fuel from the start, so if need be blow down the pressure pipe to the tank to push the fuel right up to the carb (remember that the fuel is also the engine lube!). Now get yourself a screwdriver with a big strong flat end to it, you use this to turn the engine when it jams at TDC.

Now with the plug removed open carb up to full throttle and use your starter box to turn it over. you should be able to get it turning over with the plug out. do this for about 30+ seconds there should be fuel and oil blasting out of the plug hole It will sound quite nasty and tinggy as it's very tight, now as fast as poss get the plug back in but leave it lose, attach the glow start, close the carb up to about quater throttle, make sure the engine is at BDC and go for it!! if it jams use the big flat blade screwdriver in the fly wheel to free it up and return it to BDC before trying again.
When it starts tighten the plug but try not to let the engine stop! let it run on the box ritch for at least 2 or 3 tanks, it should sit there at a slightly high tick over with oil blowing from the pipe. If it stops and jams, get the screwdriver out again, BDC and start it again straight away.
If I'm running an engine in, one I have it started I will not let it stop for about an hour.

TBH I've not needed to use this method on a new engine for some years as the make I use now don't seem to bad to run in ,And if you have a good powerfull box it realy helps. but back in the old days we used to have to do this a lot, we used to fit old flywheels at the start so we didn't bugger up a new one with the screwdriver when turning the engine to BDC. I have seen people use heat guns and yes I agree that warming the engine 1st is a good thing.

Oh and remember, once you have the plug out things need to be kept clean!!! realy don't want any dirt sucked into the engine. This all can be quite hard on the plug, so its a good idea to fit a new one after run in.
If by chance it's just silly tight, then it maybe good to take it back, as this could cause the big end to give up prematurely.

Oh and one last thing, if you use a heat gun to warm the engine, warm the engine block, not the head,as you want to target the heat to the piston and liner, not the cooling head. if you use a paint stripping heat gun take care as they get very very hot so watch your not melting other bits of the carb or the car!

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117