View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex210Nick View Post
what is it about the lrc blocks that makes them better/different than adding shims under the ballstud to lower the roll center?
A angled link (which is lower on the inside) not only adds grip, I'm told it also reduces the tendency to roll compared to a link that's parallel to the suspension arm. Also, look at this image (taken from http://users.telenet.be/elvo/) carefully, and you'll see lowering the upper link on the inside actually makes the roll center higher:

As far as my understanding goes, it works like this: The roll is caused by a torque: The force caused by the shifting weight times the distance (arm) between the sprung mass and the roll center. This mass has the center of gravity (CoG), and there will be a distance between that and the roll center. The amount of distance is one of the ways to play with the amount of body roll (because it works as an arm in the torque formula).

The roll center (of most cars) seems to be lower than the center of gravity. Therefor a higher roll center (closer to CoG) will reduce body roll, and a lower one (further from CoG) will increase body roll.

Increasing body roll increases sideways bite on the car. This is beneficial in low traction conditions to make the rear end feel safe and planted, so you can floor the throttle earlier and more. In high traction conditions you don't want that much body roll, in fact you often are trying to reduce it to prevent the car's tendency to grip roll. Also, the reduced body roll may make the car respond quicker to changing direction.

If you look at the posted image again, you can see that lowering the inside pivot points of the lower suspension arm will lower the roll center. That why a LRC conversion will add rear grip to the DEX210 without playing with strange upper link positions

Mind you, this is my understanding of how it works. If I'm wrong please tell me

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy