View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014

Default Batteries and Motors, more thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36racing View Post
Both quotes from Jimmy, this was for the RC10 control class we had at the oOos Series........All taken from the oOos RC10 Thread,
I assume that the 21.5 / 17.5 are brushless? What size tracks were they running on? I didn't go to any of the meetings so don't know.. I did see some pictures, so assume they were outdoor, larger than SWIRC track. We need to find something appropriate for the track we have....

I've been playing this evening with the RC10. I have had a Reedy 3300kV brushless with 2s 30/50c LiPos in it, however, a lot of the much older cars don't have a slipper clutch, the RC10 included. The Classic does have an adjustable ball diff (and bear in mind I'm no expert on the ball diff yet); however I have had to have the diff really tight to avoid over slipping with the brushless setup, to the point where the diff doesn't sound too healthy

I've changed the setup this evening, to NiMH, Tamiya 540RS 23T sport tuned brushed motor and cheap-o MS ESC (£16!), and re-adjusted the diff, and it sounds much happier!
It also feels more 'right' to me to have this setup; I'll leave it in and try the car at the track during practice on Thursday to see how it goes. I'm just very aware that if some folks have much older cars with no slipper, they will be stuck with slow crap motors, or risk trashing their transmission to keep up with the 'newer' slipper clutch wielding 'vintage' cars with hot (or even 'not-so-hot') brushless motors.
It'd be interesting to see how a 17T or 21T brushless motor compares to the 23T brushed I have in... Does anyone have a stock brushless in a car they could bring for comparison?

I'm all up for enjoying the 'naff-ness' of these great cars
Thoughts please!

South West Indoor RC: http://Team-SWIRC.org.uk
Trader feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165264