View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rs fruitbat View Post
In terms of racing R/C cars ,how do you go from an average racer to a front runner ? Or in my case a below average to average racer

Is it just natural talent or can your skills be improved through practice or is it knowing how to set up a car and having a bottomless pit of money to buy the best of the best ?
Practice, practice and practice

To make it to the A final of a national you need talent as well but you can certainly make a huge difference by just running as much as you can and also at varied tracks as well.

I started about 4 years ago aged 46 with zero ability and race every week at a local club and have gradually made it from the D final up to generally getting into the A finals at the club. I also started racing regionals last year and that gives a great range of different tracks. Go along expecting to be in the bottom finals with the little kids at the beginning but it is great experience and you will improve.

Don't worry about setups or getting the latest kit. Any of the major cars will do, preferably one that your local club has and copy setups. That's all I do even now, you don't need to spend a lot of money but you will need decent tyres and as you get quicker you will wear them out quicker.

I read somewhere that 80% of speed is the driver, 15% is the tyres and the last 5% is everything else including setup, make of car, type of gearbox etc.