Thread: Too Old for RC?
View Single Post
Old 26-10-2017

You'll be fine. It was only your first meeting back and you'll improve each meeting. You can never have enough practice either

I started racing in 1987 and finally packed in racing in 1991/1992 when I was 13/14, although my heart hadn't been in it for a year or two. I settled down and kids came along about 5 years ago and I needed a hobby that I could tinker with on an evening at home. In 2014 I bumped into an old friend I used to go racing with when we were kids and I borrowed his car for a local indoor meeting. I did surprisingly well and that was it, I was hooked!

The big thing that hit me was everyone now ran 2wd cars over 4wd, there was so much more to adjust and think about and how much things had changed electronically. I didn't have a clue what to buy and had to ask advice on everything. I still have my favourite old cars Yokomo 870C and Optima Mid which comes out for a play here and there (with modern electrics).

As far as racing goes I'm happy if 1) the car has performed as I wanted it to do as I spend a lot of time preparing it, 2) I've driven the best I can with the least amount of mistakes. I never go to a meeting expecting to win, I just enjoy racing my car and seeing my friends.

Modelsport UK Race Team | Schumacher KC