View Single Post
Old 13-02-2011
Mad Member

this is a fantastic thread i'v quit smoking three times over the last 10 years.
the first time i stopped for 18 months and i thought i'd cracked it, but one thing that always starts me off again is the fact that i'm bloody terrified of flying so every time we go on holiday i tell myself that i'll just have a couple to calm my nerves, but i end up smoking again.
well the last time i managed to quit there were two factors one my health,and two the most important i want to beable to see my kids grow up, and i felt so guilty when my kids would see me smoking.
i think i did it the most difficult way possible, and that was will power, but god it was tough, and still is, but i'm getting there one day at a time.
the most important thing i needed and relyed on was the support of my family.
next month (march) will be 3 years (the longest i have ever gone without a cig) , but i still feel that anyone who gives it a go should be encouraged as much as possible so if this thread helps just a few to quit its well worth its place on here.
when i was smoking i felt so unfit, but three years on i'v started cycling again after years off my bike, and i have done 5 sportive cycle rides ranging from 35 miles to the lattest one that i have just signed up for is a 70 mile ride 1 weekend, and a 104 mile ride the very next weekend what the hell have i let myself in for

al the people that are thinking about quitting just get some advice, and go for it.
keep up the great work this is a great idea