View Single Post
Old 30-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Day 7 now, coincidentely the same day I decided to stop eating crap food and to start a "get really fit" thing...and stopped biting my nails (done so all my 31 years near enough).

Nothing like a "stop 4 things at once" challenge to keep the will power levels tested

Ive smoked since I was 14, thought it was cool and trendy when I was younger but as I got more and more unfit and my lungs got more and more ruined I realised how much I hated smoking..I just couldnt battle my way off the nicotene. From 17 till about 28 I was easily on 15 a day, if not more depending on the situation.

For some reason something clicked last Sunday and I just felt that inside I was ready to stop, so last Monday I did so.

I read this web page after some Googling: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html
It was very helpful as it basically told me everything thing I was going to go through and explained what was happening mentaqlly, chemically and physically.
As I sat at home clawing at the walls for the first 3 days at least in my head I knew why certain things were happening thanks to the website.

Im not the preaching sort, we all have our ways of going about things, but for me I cant do patches and gums and all that. Cold turkey and get rid of all the nicotene from my system as fast as I can.

The hardest thing at the moment, but also the best thing is that although my parents think I gave up smoking 2 years ago, they arent aware that I did start again quite soon after, and I cant be doing with all that hassle and grief. On the plus side because I cant go shouting about giving up all over Facebook (makes a change!!) and everywhere that family members might read it means I am not constantly reminded of it. On the minus side, the only support I have is myself. This is me giving up, no one else, no one helping me along and holding my hand. 100% me.

I was worried about the whole "putting loads of weight on" thing. I cant really afford to put anymore on lol, so if I do get the munchies I busy myself with things; walking, eating salad, drinking tonnes of pints of water. Thankfully due to the healthy eating lark I have also started there is not one single bad food item in my house anymore so even if I did want to stuff rubbish food down my throat to counter the lack of fags I couldnt

Smoking is the devil, I hate smoking, it isnt cool, and it should be banned forever, but thats just my opinion...even with 14 years of smoking under my belt.

Good luck to anyone who decides to stop. Just make sure that your head and heart agree that its the right time. I couldnt stop smoking if someone made me, my mind/soul/etc wouldnt be ready for that. I just woke up last weekend and knew that I was ready to do it and I have put 110% into keeping at it.

The only disadvantage is that my asthma is now 1000 times worse and I had a scary asthma attack yesterday morning which is still making me struggle to breathe 24 hours later. Doctors can sort that out for me tomorrow though.

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups