View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
Hot tip about drive shafts: The Traxxas Slash shafts fit as if they were made for the Cat. Good for a runner!
Interesting. The bulky Traxxas shafts did already remind me of the XLS ones. Seems like Traxxas looked around pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolstacho View Post
1: Spreading of the plastic U-joints should be able to be fixed by immersing the part in boiling water, then squeezing the ends parallel with pliers or clamp, then cooling off in cold water.
2: I've done a fix of excessive play in the holes by using a soldering iron to soften the plastic and 'close-up' the holes a little. Maybe not a long-term solution, but better than excessive slop.
3:l I'm not relaxed about Optimafan's sloppy diff, there must be a mismatch of components in there surely?
4: Could the Procat thrust race be adapted to fit the XLS? Probably not, but I mention it because new Procat thrust races are easy and cheap to buy 'cos it's a common helicopter part.
5: Bumpers? got to be close to being worthwhile for someone to do re-rees!!!
(But then I forgot that there'd only be about four people in the world dopey enough to be restoring these things!)

5) I think their are more than 4 Cat addicts, I already know more than 4, and I've only relatively recently gotten into contact with fellow vintage addicts like here.

4) I got some metal case thrust races from RcBearings, should be a direct replacement. The plastic ones will go in the shelf car.

3) I think it's because I have the metal plates with hex cutout, and not the ones with the friction paper, and the latter being a little thicker or so. Anyway, I used some 8 mm shims between the flanged bearing and the Washer Carrier. With 2 0.3mm shims on each side, the diff has minimal play, and runs very freely.

2) Could work, but then I'd rather opt for applying a very thin coat of CA glue in the opening where the pivot balls go. After letting it cure long enough, it forms an extra layer, tightening up the hole. Have done this with success on worn linkages on a small helicopter. But at the moment, it's not needed, I have some parts with acceptable slop, and the rear suspension will be ProCat, so much less slop there as well Still looking for suitable replacement pivot balls though, as long term solution.

1) That crossed my mind, but the main problem was that when putting these back together, I bent these open too much again, so I was getting nowhere. But after I got a little more familiar with the tool that comes with the XLS, to aid in assembly. Now the joints look much better.