View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013

Exclamation

Chris, if in doubt, ask an adult. I do not want to cause injury with this thread and I am not happy that this thread has led to an injury.

Regarding the acetone, this is definitely an ADULT ONLY option as it is a nasty chemical.

To remove glued on tyres with acetone, cut off the tyre apart from the stuck on bead. Then put the wheels into a sealed container with about 1cm of acetone in the bottom. With the container sealed, the trapped fumes will, after a couple of days, break down the super glue. It should then be easy to remove the rubber from the wheel. We recommend something like a pickle jar, as the lid is nice and wide so you can get the wheels in and out without getting your hand stuck.

With the screw cap lid, no fumes should escape. Again, THIS IS AN ADULT ONLY OPTION, due to the use of toxic chemicals.

If this is an option your parents are happy to try, then please make sure they do this on your behalf and make sure it is carried out in a well ventilated area (Outside) when pouring the acetone and also when re-opening the jar to remove the wheels, as the fumes can cause serious medical damage to you if you do not take great care. DO NOT SMELL THE FUMES AND ALWAYS USE THE CORRECT SAFETY PROTECTION! I have also labelled my jar to state the chemical contained inside to warn anyone who gets curious to leave it alone!

I have a filter mask that I wear and a pair of safety goggles to make sure I don't inhale the fumes or accidentally splash any acetone in my eyes. If this occurs, then you must seek immediate medical assistance. I seriously recommend it is only used by ADULTS. Also; wear rubber gloves when handling.

Acetone is in nail varnish remover, but I use pure acetone. It is readily available from various websites.

CFS

Classicool - EBAY

Classicool website - the cheapest place I've found.

All these places require you order it with courier delivery. This is due to Pure Acetone being a hazardous chemical. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! All of this is just advice, but hopefully covers everything.

I would also recommend when using any sharp tools to wear a pair of safety gloves.

Please be extra careful from now on. I do not want any further injured / fainting young humans or adults on my conscience.

SHARP TOOLS SAFETY TIP:
Always cut away from you. If you are cutting correctly, if the cutting tool slips, it should never go towards ANY part of your body.

You may be better off buying a big bag of old wheels off ebay with no tyres on them so you don't have to bother with all the extra hassle and risk.

There is an open practice from 8am to 12pm tomorrow morning 10/11/2013. There should be adults there who can help you. Please do not be afraid to ask for help.

Last edited by GoDaveGo; 15-06-2015 at 01:54 PM.