View Single Post
Old 28-10-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwaa View Post
thanks for the replies, another thing I have also been looking into is Motor, I run a 6.5T motor on a tight indoor track, i've recently purchased an 8.5T as I am starting to think 6.5T is too much on such a small indoor track (WBMCC). But the same applies here, I hear people say that X brand of motor is "smoother" than Y brand
But you can change how a motor feels by ESC settings, so maybe what they perceive as a motor being smooth is actually the speed controller.

I have had one brand of motor that was like an on/off switch being applied and got really very hot, so it was moved on at quite a loss to me very quickly. (edit: so i guess that confirms the statement you made above about brand x being smoother than brand y, however, i do think its mostly speed controller setup). I think motors matter when you are blinky stock racing in TC or 12th, and that then becomes a money game of buying the most expensive and of changing them often so performance doesnt drop off. It's far less critical in buggies as you can make a slower/higher wind motor really quick with lots of boost and turbo setup on ESC, and change how it feels with punch, current limits and breaks.

Mostly you can tune the feel or any motor with ESC settings. You can be over motored for a track. Certainly smaller and less grippy tracks can benefit from a much tamer, higher wind motor. An 8.5 certainly sounds more sensible if the track is small and tight.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by neallewis; 28-10-2016 at 03:36 PM.