View Single Post
Old 20-09-2010

I ran the flywheel at the NSW state titles in Australia this past weekend.

I managed to scrape into the A final in 10th place having not used the flywheel at all during qual. My car was off the pace big time, just not feeling hooked up and very nervous. With nothing to lose off 10th, I put the flywheel on for the finals and it literally transformed the car!

In 20+ years of racing, I don't think I've ever seen a single change have such a big impact on handling. The flywheel seemed to settle the car down a lot and helped the car generate more forward traction, which is one of the main things I was lacking. It also made the car feel more stable under brakes, allowing me to brake later.

Flywheel aside, I don't think my car setup was optimal, but the flywheel sure did help a lot! In retrospect, I should have gone for a softer motor setup. 7.5 with 50c packs was just too much for the car. It was probably just spinning the tyres too much trying to accelerate off the corners. The flywheel helped tame this and smooth car out.

The track was very high high traction outdoor dirt with Proline Holeshot 2.0 as control tyre.

Cheers,
Scotty P.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StIves_MG_2896Panorama.jpg (21.2 KB, 78 views)