View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroP View Post
the track surface also played a major part in the results.
Jorn has had track time on that track before.
The track is closer to the kinds of tracks in the states than in europe.
This car, the "Serpango" is a car that has taken serpent parts and the basis of the Durango 410 to make a new car a platform that Jorn is happy and comfortable with.
His results running the retail Serpent 4wd are nothing to shout about.
His SRX4 results have been fine, in my eyes at least - he had a very unlucky EOS season and had to work with the car before it was fully optimised for high grip. He was up at the sharp end several times but the driving standards in some of the A finals, particularly at round 3, were utterly atrocious and he never really got the results he deserved. Aside from that, winning the German nationals and winning the DHI Cup (beating Orlowski and Coelho on carpet!), as well as finishing 2nd at the Euros, shows it's quite a handy car.
Quote:
Jorn is a quality driver, that much is clear just by watching him in any class, but what i think is a bone of contention is that the car he is winning with is not the car available to everyday racers, add to that the fact that the car that people have shelled out for is not particularly good on our tracks and seems to have been ditched by the manufacturer in favour of the new one
Well it's not available because it's pre-production - you'll be able to buy the car yourself soon. I don't remember people getting annoyed at the B6 being run at the EOS before it was released to the public... it's just normal practice.

Whilst it's true the SRX4 in its original form was suited slightly better to low grip, you only have to look at the oOple Series results from this year to see that it's by no means a slouch on astro. It's different to the rest of the crowd, but it's a very quick car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefke View Post
I agree that there are only so many option when designing a shaft drive car, so I won't go into the serpent/durango/copy argument.

BUT : I still think the worlds was a PR disaster for Serpent. What were they thinking ? I certainly would have felt cheated owning an SRX4.
I would have respected the team a lot more if they had raced the SRX4 and finished 10 places lower. Didn't Billy Easton do that ?
Serpent released an official statement on the Worlds situation. The prototype shaft car was run by Hupo and Jörn because they felt most comfortable using that layout to gather data and aid development, the results of which you can now see. Billy ran the SRX4 with the aluminium chassis and shorty conversion which is what the UK team use for high grip surfaces. Despite not getting in the A, Billy's final times were actually some of the quickest and most consistent of the entire event, even though it was his first time ever on astro. The SRX4 is in no way the inferior platform that some make it out to be.