View Single Post
Old 19-09-2018

Default 22 3.0 Spec Racer Diff and Drivetrain

Hi All,

I registered here a couple of weeks ago as I'm thinking about doing some buggy racing. It looks like a great forum with lots of good people sharing information.

I'm afraid I'm going to do the typical newbie thing and start with a post containing a question! Apologies in advance for that.

I have picked up a used 22 3.0 chassis to build a buggy for possibly racing on dirt/grass next year. It came with a couple of gear diffs but I am thinking a ball diff would be more suitable on lower traction surfaces. I've just got hold of a 22 3.0 SR Ball diff and SR driveshafts. I know that these items have primarily been designed to be as light as poss to work with a direct drive system and a 17.5T motor for stock class racing.

My question is should I consider using these with the standard slipper and say a 10.5T or 13.5T motor or would this be too much for the lightened parts and composite outdrives?

I'm planning to build it as a relatively soft 'training' car, set up to ease me in gently so thought I may be able to get away with it. To start with I want to concentrate on getting my driving consistent. I'm happy to be circulating at the back of the field to begin with!!

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.

McT.