View Single Post
Old 25-01-2011

Default JConcept Rulux wheels, B44 hexes, Tamiya axles

I've done the search and read all the answers and I just want to once and for all sort out all the info about mounting JConcept Rulux 4wd front wheels (3307), Team Associated B44 hex (9750), Tamiya axles, and getting them all to work properly together.

I must state that I'm using the regular universal driveshafts (part number 54015 which fit on DB-01, DB-01R, TRF501X, TRF511X and TRF502X) - NOT the wide angle universals (part number 54118) and NOT the original DB01 dogbone axles (9808152).

So far, I've drilled out the hexes to 5.0mm and they fit well onto the axle, but they cannot go far enough on the shaft (before hitting the bearing) for the holes (on the hex and the axle) to align properly. I tried taking out the aluminium spacer tube between the two bearings, and that allows the hex to go deep enough for the holes to align and I can fit a 1/16" roll pin in there (Associated 7369) but without the spacer, the bearings are rubbing on the insides of the knuckle and there's a slight but noticeable increase in friction. Also, the 1/16" roll pins are a loose fit in the 2mm hole on the axle, so there's quite a bit of slop there.

My next steps are going to be to try and make new (very very slightly thinner) spacers to go between the bearings and mill a bigger 2.0mm hole a tiny bit further in on the hex (but there's really very little material left there) and I'll then shorten some pins to fit on them. This may or may not work. The difference in distances are so tiny that I can't measure them with a caliper, so it's all going to be experimental and I'll post up what I did and what I get in the end.

For now, what I want to say is... my experience trying to get the Rulux wheels to work has not been a painless one.

If anyone else has a different experience, let us know how you did it and what axles you used.