View Single Post
Old 29-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
I doubt that with the right gears (right size and shape, good mesh, right alloy steel, machined perhaps instead of cast) you'd need two additional ones. There are many cars that don't need 4 gears for a system like this, right? It's not the 5 grams that bother me, just that in my eyes they did something that wasn't necessary.

And perhaps it's also a bit of disappointment that it's not a 'new' and 'innovative' feature Tamiya designed, but just two gears added to the car...
Yes, in an ideal world with no budget constraints, using expensive bearings packed full of balls, with machine cut gearboxes and gears ground from hardened steel, all to extreme tolerances, you could support that layshaft on just one side and run the centre shaft straight through. That is true.

This car has less gears than the DF-03 and although there were many complaints about that car, few if any were related to extra friction or gearbox maintenance. It's just that the early pictures on this one got people all excited about counter rotating shafts, centre diffs and flux capacitors, so when it turns out that they were just gears, feelings were hurt and hearts were broken.