View Single Post
Old 30-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
Yes, in an ideal world with no budget constraints, using expensive bearings packed full of balls, with machine cut gearboxes and gears ground from hardened steel, all to extreme tolerances, you could support that layshaft on just one side and run the centre shaft straight through. That is true.

This car has less gears than the DF-03 and although there were many complaints about that car, few if any were related to extra friction or gearbox maintenance. It's just that the early pictures on this one got people all excited about counter rotating shafts, centre diffs and flux capacitors, so when it turns out that they were just gears, feelings were hurt and hearts were broken.
True, maybe a center diff is overkill on a 1/10 scale electric car, but there is no doubt in my mind that the leaning TRF502 of Pisa would have benefited from counter rotating shafts. Man that thing tilts to one side everytime you hit the throttle in mid air. I've seen it with me own two eyes.
Everybody knows flux capacitors are too big to fit in an R/C car. They havent been able to shrink that technology down to 1/10 size yet. LOL!