View Single Post
Old 23-05-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hughes View Post
Basically in a nut shell I want the best of everything on it... this is what a local model shop has suggested

1) Motor...Nosram Matrix ISTC speed controller and storm Evo 4.5t brushless motor....(The World Edition comes with a 91 tooth spur gear and a 15 tooth pinion gear, would this be suitable?)

2) Cells...Orion 4200 SHO 6 Cell battery.

3) Futaba BLS451 servo.

4) KO Espirit 3 Universe radio system.

5) Receiver...Not sure looking for advice.

Please help so I can order my items to finish it off

Many thanks everyone
Carl Hughes
I can only really tell you what I have in my 501X carl - the ISTC esc is good, I'm running the 2007 with a fan on top - so basically the same thing. I find the 6.5 motor too slow (slower than a 3star older motor) but the 5.5 is about perfect. If they have sintered rotors now then that might be different tho as mine is bonded and I found the 5.5 with sintered rotor to be just too powerful for me.
4.5 with any rotor inside at all is too much on 6 cells for me - you'll have more fun driving a car you can control than one you smash into pieces.

This ESC is big and with a normal servo I think you'll probably have to run the ESC so it overhangs the chassis - the shell and undertray stick out further so there's no real problem but I found it neater with a low profile servo - I use the KO low profile servo in my 501X just so I can make a neat install.

I have the ESC blocking the motor screws - so I cant remove the motor that easily. But I use the parma (?) clear double sided 'tape' which lets me remove the ESC and reinstall it without changing tape.. It's ace! only good for things like this tho, not smaller things (like switches) or things that aren't ever supposed to move like a servo.

As for pinions - you might as well get one or two sets of the 501X-specific pinions that tamiya released - they are longer than 'normal' pinions and make meshing a little easier. Not sure what sizes they come in but they come 2 to a bag. You want to be aiming for around 13:00 overall ratio on a 5.5 motor, maybe a little less for a 5.5 on sintered but these ratios are what Jurgen told me direct and I've always stuck to them even if its fairly conservative.

I've heard some negatives on the sho's but I've got some slingshot 4500mah cells which seem good.