View Single Post
Old 21-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3012 View Post
Looks nice! If your down at southport this sunday id like to take a look! Would making it out of some kind of plastic reduce cost? Delrin for example? It will fit the 4 cars mentioned, the ansmann x2c (tco2c) and the ansmann mad monkey (lupuz) as they all use the same rear t piece and gearbox... Hope that helps

Thanks Tom,

I was going to be at Southport this Sunday for some much needed practice but I now have my chin on the tank in an attempt to complete Production Unit #001 in time for a guy to use it at next month's BRCA indoor event.

I think that making it in plastic would be cheaper if it were done by 3D printing. But I don't have one of those..........yet!

Machining plastic is a bit of a sod and usually gives you about a week's work deburring all the edges and little feathery bits that get left behind. Glass filled plastics are better in that respect but the tool wear is worse than with aluminium. And it wouldn't be shiny!

The material cost isn't that significant. Most of the cost is in the machining hours, turning most of the aluminium into swarf and transferring it to my vacuum cleaner!

I shall be at the Turf-Wars round six on 2nd Feb though. Or you could take a drive to Hesketh Bank.