Thread: paint by ian
View Single Post
Old 24-11-2011
Mad Member

Thank you all for your kind words, however much swearing there was at this shell the stuff I hear afterwards is what makes it all okay again

So an extra image of the carbon for you all.

@ Mark, cheers fella ! I'm sure I can sort something out on your cars, no trouble.

@ Graham, thank you. You can't believe how much effort I put into this, there are silver stars faded out from the logo's over the pearl white but as is the nature of photography vs paintwork they don't really show up, they were meant to be subtle, just some extra details. The carbon is all done on a cutter, hours and hours for the poor little machine to do and I think doing that alone took me a whole afternoon. This isn't viable in the real world, if you're doing it for yourself that's fine and this was sort of to showcase what I could do and also to prove to myself what I could do / where the limitations of the paint were. So with the cutter taking so long I think realistically the carbon alone was a day's work, crazy hours.

@ Andy, I have no idea how many hours I put into it, way too many to be able to repeat it again unless someone wants to sling vast amounts of cash at me with all the computer work involved I'd say a week's worth of hours though, easily, if I added it up properly I'd scare myself so probably best not to. I did liquid mask up the entire shell... Mainly useful for the rear section with so many folds and extra pieces, these short course shells are a pig to cut out. The the big starts on the side and the window frames were painted through LM, the rest as you right suggest is vinyl cut mask. However I'm having problems with it lifting due to the heat gun being used on it and getting blow throughs which is really annoying when you're trying to make something perfect. So maybe not the best one to get, perhaps a more sticky one would work better ??? Chance of leave glue residue. Swings and roundabouts...

My paintwork thread