View Single Post
Old 28-01-2014

Sorry, I can't address you by name, I'm not sure who you are but I don't understand the haves and have nots idea. How can you stop people running new tyres every week which is what happened in the past? Surely thats haves and have nots.

The foams are simple to order direct from Schumacher, cost less than a set of the tyres your suggesting and last meeting after meeting. If we go back to rubber, racing will cost more. How does that benefit your nephew? I'm also interested, when we did race rubber, how was it more fun?

I'll also give you another reason why foams are good for RVRCCC. If a rubber tyred car leaves the track and keeps driving, there's a good chance it'll damage the floor. A foam car wouldn't.

We also need to get away from arguing what these cars were designed for. They were designed to race and that's what we're doing with them.

You do make a good point about Southport doing a good job, they do and its a great club for racers but again that isn't the point of RVRCCC. Its about fun. What you're talking about is making changes to benefit racers.

Its interesting though you've mentioned Southport. (Is your nephew booked in for Turf wars on Sunday at Southport because this is relevant if he is?) Its interesting because their members had the same issues Ribble had. High wear rates and high costs to stay competitive. They wanted to lower the cost of tyres. Pins or spikes both give good grip but wore out easily in one meeting. So they've all gone to running the old Schumacher blocks. They modify the tyre or the wheel to make them fit properly and they've solved the problem. (You could also argue our buggies aren't designed to run those tyres as our wheels are 2.2 not 2.0.but no ones looking to change that.)

Great grip and tyres now last about 4 meetings but its unlikely they'll use them elsewhere. They evolved exactly as Ribble has. They all think its great. So looking at your example of Southport, why would we want to do as they have in finding a better solution, then go back to why we found the solution in the first place?