View Single Post
Old 15-01-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micholix View Post
Thanks CARB for that info, i forgot about the gyro effect from the motor, you are absolutly right!

As you sayed chassis designers, many of the factories are working on chassis flex as an tuning option, i never will belive in that, that a chassis should do the job, the suspension is for, if you have a well balanced car (shockwise), you can have a bone hard chassis and let the suspension do their job, while the chassis is there, to hold things together, thats what i always will belive in, like on real cars....
You cant controle that force, it's like a compressed spring, that unloads, when the counter force is not anought anymore, so you never know, when this will happen!
It could just be a litte bump, that lifts the car a bit, or a jump, or a lifting wheel from the ground, or whatever, it can happen every time and its not controliable.
I hope you understand what i mean, its hard for me to explane, because my english is not that good?

I've got a new 4wd on my bench since a while now, never drove it since, as the rear end flexes like hell, right now i'm on the way, to make my own cf side rails and stiffen up the chassis as much i can, if i cant get it, i would like to have it, i'll sell it!

Thats just i belive in, may i'm totaly wrong!?

Edit: for an example, i run my k2 with saddle packs and to get the right balance, i run the hardest (black) core rear springs and the softest (white) core front springs, no one ever would do that i think, but i like how it handles that way!
As with many things, it is the right amount of flex that matters, and of course also the direction of flex. Even on high-grip astro, I was surprised just how much better my YZ-4 became when I moved from the standard top deck to the LMR/MR33 top deck and finally the cut ultra-flex version. Adjustable flex is here to stay for a reason, and most average drivers will do better with a more forgiving i.e. flexible car with a wider set-up window. With a stiff car, your set-up has to be spot on or your car/truck will be slow or even become undrivable.
Further to your K2: I am not surprised to see some very hard springs together with saddle-packs as the car will most likely be quite heavy in the rear, and the softer front springs will probably make up for the increased rear-biased weight distribution. You should not care too much about other peoples' opinion as long as your set-up works for you. However, make sure to try various things with a transponder in your car, sometimes what is fast does not feel fast. Another enlightening moment was to see how much faster my B5M was on dirt with a lighter battery although the saddle pack felt better...
Driving style plays an important role, too. In most cases, pro-driver set-ups where all but useless for me because I would hit the brakes at the wrong time and put the car on its roof.

But I digress, sorry about that! It is great to see so much development going on in the 2WD buggy class. Maybe it is about time for me to give Schumacher another shot. It has been some time since my Cougar 2 Team!

Last edited by mes; 15-01-2017 at 08:14 PM.