Thread: FWD/FF Buggy
View Single Post
Old 25-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
Well, considering they are some 20 years of development the RWDs got and the FWDs didn't, I doubt the FWDs will be nearly as fast. Given they would get enough development they may become more competitive. However, it's indeed likely the FWDs won't be able to keep up with RWDs like they did back then. Even more reason to let FWDs compete in the 2WD class again

I hope to drive it next season next to my TRF201 at a club, and hopefully I can even enter the FWD in a 2WD race or championship if it's not at a high level.

By the way, small update:

I changed the front suspension a bit: I decided to use DB01 suspension blocks at the rear. The reason is that I don't want the toe-out that the suspension arms get by using the TRF201 suspension blocks. Plus, it might give me extra space to move the steering rack further forward. I also made blanks for a low profile (Savox 1251MG geometry) servo and a stick pack (Team Orion 2S 4600mAh 45C LiPo) to explore the potential layouts for the chassis.

The current one I got pictured is what I have in mind. It won't deliver the greatest front weight balance, but it does allow me to move the battery backwards all the way to the rear suspension block if I need to. Plus, if it's necessary I can place under servo weights on the car I plan to use the steering rack fro a TLR 22 if they are durable enough (I got a thread about that in the Losi section) as they are so compact and simple.

Another thing I did was completing the structure of the gearbox. I hope it's accurate enough as it was hard to get good measurements on the critical mounting holes with some calipers and a set square. But after all it's much cheaper than having it run through a 3D scanner at a company for 100+ euros
Some thoughts for you, a TLR 22 steering rack will be ideal, they're very durable and compact.
Second I would use saddle packs side by side behind the steering servo to get the weight foward, seeing as i think getting traction will be the biggest issue.
Third, how about cutting the 'rear' suspension block in half and turning the halves 90deg to give trailing arm rear suspension, it's seems to be the most popular layout so why not copy it?
Finally why not use the durango 210 gearbox so you can try both 3 and 4 gear layouts to see which gives the better traction?

Friday Night Buggy Racing nr. Milton Keynes - TCRCMC