View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJames1972 View Post
Rob,

Sorry, while posting my previous reply on tyres I missed your question on Production Cup

The initial proposal at the EGM on Production Cup was that cars had to be run "out of the box" with the exception of adding a diff (if drivers felt the need) and the option to change spurs, pinions, tyre compound and shells.

A useful point was made at the EGM that if a new driver joined the class it was likely that they might buy second hand. In this case, their car was likely to have been modified beyond the options mentioned above and the driver would then have to dip in their pocket again to de-modify their new purchase. Therefore, a vote was passed to allow any specification of chassis to be eligible for Production Cup.

At the various clubs near me (ones that I attend on a regular basis) the majority have a "club" car that new drivers can borrow that is set up with a 17.5t motor. A significant proportion of those new drivers that I have seen start the class have opted for the 17.5t motor when they buy their first car too, mostly from trying the various clubs cars. As and when they feel like progressing they have then bought a 13.5t and entered Super Cup. The important point her is "as and when". There is no obligation to buy new motors and no time limit for when drivers must "upgrade". Drivers do it only when they themselves feel ready.

Also, Production Cup is not just for the absolute beginner. Several drivers that I have spoken to appreciate the challenges of slower racing - maintaining corner speed becomes more important, extremely close racing is frequent and they really learn the effects of setup, gearing and timing changes and many have stuck with the class because they find it less stressful and more fun. This is particularly so when their regular club has smaller racing areas that are more suited to less powerful cars. Having a "formal" set of tried and tested rules for this class gives clubs who follow BRCA rules as their guide a bit of extra clout when trying to persuade their members to try something new.

James
The original production did not allow a diff to be fitted