Thread: X4TE Build Tips
View Single Post
Old 16-10-2011

okay just built the car, overall very straight forward, have listed a couple of points to help.

1. Pre compress diff spring prior to building. You will find after this it will return to a length 1mm shorter than when new.
2. Shimming diffs, buy some extra shims every moulding will be slightly differant and i had to use at least 3 shims in each box. The shims on the gear side should be done first to set the mesh then shim the opposite side to take up any slack.
3. Use any good brand of silicone diffs on the diff rings and balls and a quality black grease on the thrust race.
4. Before building the diffs use some degreaser to remove the transit grease, this prevents lubrication in areas you don't want and stops the diff grease you put in from getting contaminated.
5. As Simon mentions if you are running an increased amount of anti squat the don't forget to trim the area under the input shaft moulding and around the sides by the outdrives to ensure clearance for the wishbones and the pivot block.
6. When building the shocks wrap a layer of PTFE tape around the threads to prevent leaking.
7. Use longer 10mm counter sunk screws on the inboard mount to compensate for the threads running through the anti squat spacers.
8. OPTIONAL, To ease any stress in the diff gears i have allways done the following.
i) put them in a bowl
ii) pour boiling water over them
iii) allow to cool
iv) dry and fit as usual

X4TE
X2C