View Single Post
Old 25-11-2019

Default PB Mini Mustang Refurb

I've been looking for a PB Mini Mustang for a while and this one came up on E bay hidden by a Ferrari Testarossa body and just listed as Vintage RC Car , looks like it may be one of the ECO versions as it has plastic bushings on the diff out drives not bearings, its a single speed gearbox , looks like it was used on carpet as the axles all had a mat of fluff wrapped round them , its had a fair bit of use but no great harm come has come to it , i think the Testarossa body was on there a long time so some sort of track car maybe ? it also came with a very old ESC , the type with a relay for full speed but FET's as well , there's no identification on it and the circuit board has been fitted into a piece of mica to mount it , the same mica has been used for the rear body mount and front body mount as well as the bumper bracket .the wheels are ? i don't know but they had been fitted straight to the axle cross pin and the drive flanges are missing , up front even the drive pins are missing from the axles and a bent piece of wire was used !
The shock's seem to be in pretty good nick and still hold oil and work pretty well ! it has a Trinity Monster Horse Power motor that's also a very nice item , I'm not sure of the wind and its not written on the armature either although its a very pretty pink colour .
So far the butchers bill will be
1 front bumper and mount
2 axle drive flanges
3 rear body mount
4 bearings for diff's
5 body and wing

After a bit of a clean

If any body knows anything about the ESC I'd love to know more about it , it may even be a home brew or a build your own kit .
When I first looked at the car I noticed it had a nice pair of UJ drive shafts , I thought they looked a bit like the Brimod ones on one of Dinglem's threads but on closer inspection they are quite different but still very nicely made and cleaned up well .
With Christmas coming and me having 4 kids and 4 grand kids the budget is going to be a bit thin till new year , I have ordered diff bearings and some new drive flanges , a friend has lent me some Hot Shot wheels so I'll be able to have it running soonish .
I think I'm leaning toward a Maxima body , not sure if it will fit so if anybody knows then chip in and let me know .
I have some Kydex that I can make a bumper and bumper mount from for now and I'll hit the 3d printer for the rear body mount , I might even make up some shock towers out of GRP .