View Single Post
Old 16-07-2011

Default Street Touring Car Class

Initial thoughts for the objective of this class is having a reduced speed/ less expensive touring car class. General discussion to date has been on the following five areas:

1. Chassis: As a start, I suggest any TC chassis is fine but 'in the spririt' of the class, people should refrain from spending loads a money, i.e. it should be 'budget' touring car, the likes of the schumacher Mi1 or one of the better RTR cars or simply an older chassis bought second hand, the likes of what most people tend to run anyway.

2. Bodyshell: a bit of a subjective rule, but it needs to look like a real car, not an aerodynamic blob as Maz puts it.

3. Tyres: a defined control tyre; schumacher carpet dragons have been a popular proposal to date. Basically, it doesn't need to be the best performing tyre, just needs to be durable, give a balanced handling and overall, a level playing feel. Note that reduced speeds should reduce tyre wear

4. Motor and ESC: control motor and possibly control ESC as well. Brushed or brushless?? Following Maz' suggestions, if we go brushed, a HPI Saturn (either 27T or 20T depending on what speed we are looking for) would be suitable and appriate at £10 a pop. Brushless could be a stated ESC (proper stock, i.e. not even capable of turbo/ boost) and motor, for example the bullitstorm 17.5 combo, available from hong kong on ebay for about £40 and with a pit card for about £50. I have one of these and will aim to be a long next friday for people to try it out and see what you think. Also, pretty much all brushless ESC's come with a low voltage cut off, which most brushed esc's do not.

5. Batteries: Nimh's or Lipo's?? limitation on capacity?? Nimh's are harder to come by, Lipo's have to surely be the way forward and very affordable now. Perhaps a limit on the capacity, say 5000mah and maybe a limit on the C rating??? - I think a limit on the C rating is more important than the capacity.

What are you thoughts?

Paul