View Single Post
Old 17-07-2011

Just a few of my thoughts to try and make this move forwards a bit more.

I don't think any restriciton on chassis is necessary, by reducing the speed from the motor and the grip slightly by opting for a treaded tyre with no additive, you've negated the advantage of a top line race chassis with extra rigidity. If anything, a cheaper more entry level chassis will be easier to setup due to the extra flex generating the grip.

As for weight limit, if we are allowing Lipo, we should not have a 1500g limit. It's not a realistic target for most touring cars unless you want to carry a lot of extra weights. I think the the same weight should be fine but if you insist on it being heavier (which in the long run will increase tyre wear) then maybe find a weight inbetween like 1400-1450g. I don't think it's necesasry to change this portion though.

I think the pace of an HPI saturn 20T would be ideal for TC at Bromham. Fast enough to make beginers need to learn to drive but slow enough that intermediates arn't hanging on just to get their cars around the track. I believe that there should be a brushless equivalent made available also.

With the BRCA currently creating a list of static timing "blinky" ESC, it will serve as a great guide to the sort of brushless ESC that we can allow into the class. I don't think a control ESC is practical but we can always recomend one which most club members use.

I agree with the aero body thing. I think this should be a scale class for scale bodies. also agree that if we opt for the carpet dragon as a control tyre, we should say no dish wheels. It'll add to the realism factor

I don't think there is any real need to a limitation on the Lipo size of C rating as if the motor and ESC doesn't pull the amps, the battery can't deliver it anyways. It's not going to make any difference.

So in summary for my thoughts on how th eclass should be:

Any TC chassis
weight limit minimum 1350-1400ish
Body: any true scale body and no non scale wings (anything as long as you don't take the p)
Tyre: Carpet dragon, fixed insert and non dished wheels
Motor: 20T saturn or brushless equivalent (tests will should whether this will be 17.5 blinky or 21.5 blinky)
ESC: Any brushed ESC or Brushed ESC with no dynamic timing features (blinky)

That should be enough to get things started i think.

I'll come next week with a 20T saturn bolted into my TC to check the pace. I'll also keep my brushless ESC in there for ballast and also if anyone has any 17.5 or 21.5T motors that I could borrow to test.