View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011

At the risk of poking my head above the parapet...

In all forms of racing, model cars being no exception, the onus is always on the person doing the overtaking to do so if and when possible without making contact with the car being passed or impeding their progress in any way.

I tend to agree that shouting out 'lapping' when approaching another car can be quite off-putting, much better to bide your time behind the slower car and overtake when the opportunity presents itself.

Having said all that, there is also no benefit to be had for a driver to block a lapping car by defensive driving. No-one should be expected to jump out of the way when approached by a lapping car, however it would probably be prudent and result in faster lap times for all if they went wide at a corner when they were ready to do so without compromising their race and let the faster car through - but only if they were being lapped, not when fighting for position. Most drivers are aware of the difference without having 'Lapping' shouted at them !

RC racing is huge fun and a little bit of consideration shown by all would prevent it being spoilt for some, which would be a great shame.

I guess I'm probably guilty of being one of those drivers whose car is 'markedly faster' than most - Rest assured that there's nothing special about my car, motor or batteries other than careful setup, tyre choice and motor maintenance. I'm happy to help anyone with car setup issues anytime - just ask.

Happy racing to all