Thread: new amb system
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discothesnake View Post
I don't understand this thread. Surely the simple thing to do is trade in in your MRT for a Harry you are sorted. Better that than forking out the full price later in the year?

People who bought MRT PT's went for the cheaper option which is fair enough but now they won't work on the new MYLAPS system. Why should MYLAPS worry about that?

I haven't read every post so sorry if I'm not getting the point but it seems a bit of a nothing thread for people to moan.

Dave
http://www.bbksoftware.com/ambrc/Myl...%20Release.pdf

The BBK offer to trade in MRT's is pretty generous in my opinion, considering they are basically taking a fake product and giving you an authentic one at a heavy discount in return. But that offer stops at the end of March, as does the offer for a cheap upgrade to the RC4 decoder.

That might not be a problem right now - but it will become a growing problem in years to come. AMB/Mylaps won't support RC3, supplies of Hybrid transponders will probably dry out soon, and any club that wants to buy an AMB/Mylaps system (or needs a repair) will end up with RC4 - and straight away you are back to the same issues with MRT transponders.

UK racing has nothing to gain by declining the AMB/Mylaps updates in favour of keeping compatibility with MRTs. What seems a cheap choice now, will be an expensive decision forced up us in a couple of years time. And any suggestion that AMB/Mylaps will have to cave into pressure from a few UK racers and withdraw RC4 or change it to ensure compatibility is a complete flight of fancy - there is a plentiful market for RC4, with or without the UK.

I'm just glad I stuck with an authentic AMB from Day 1. I didn't buy an MRT on principle. My transponder will work with any decoder, and I know that I'm the only person with my number anywhere in the world. Not something every MRT user can say. It's a shame the the existence of the MRTs has put the clubs - the backbone of racing - in such a difficult position.