View Single Post
Old 22-10-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to Miggers

I wondered about the Ansmann diff unit,but the only thing is that it's
bearings are 2mm smaller/1mm larger than the Cobra's on the I.D and O.D. and to fit
any other spurs than the stock 80t,you need modified B4 plates.

The Cobra'box isn't keen on brushless at all without some modifications or replacement by another make altogether.
It needs fully ballracing,the intermediate gear needs boring to take a steel or ally insert and shaft.
The diff halves need about 0.50mm skimming off their faces so that you can fit B3/B4 wear rings and both halves need boring out to take the B3/B4's
diff screw and end nut.

DerbyDan has a complete Losi XX'box fitted to his,Adey has a custom'box in his,others have fitted a B3/B4 guts into the Cobra's cases(though that's a lot of work apparently),others have fitted a complete B3/B4 'box onto the Cobra chassis.

I have Meteor diff halves on a Cobra diff gear in a fully ballraced Cobra'box but I'm only running a 27t brushed at the moment.
Adey says a B4 diff is easy to fit if you modify it as he mentions.

There are a few ways to get the thing to take big horsepower as you see.
The standard diff and intermediate gear won't stand it for long plus the
standard slipper is reputed to be a mare to get adjusted properly.
A quater turn of it's adjuster takes you from locked solid to free spinning
with not a lot in between,so either a homemade or a B4 slipper is needed
with a better slipper spring(a Losi is said to work well).

Hot Bodies D4 rear CVD shafts are said to fit straight on.

As you may have seen,mine runs on JC Racing RC10B series five spokes all round,with the rears
fitted to the Cobra rear axles.
Just run them through with a 4mm drill bit and fit an old nylon bearing behind the drive pin as a spacer.
The fronts are on B4 front axles turned down and shortened to fit into Meteor swivels.
Front bearings are RC10B series 3/16x3/8x1/8 to fit the front wheels.

Mark