View Single Post
Old 18-08-2012

wow there are some names on here that bring back memories, I still see Guy Walker now and then, and his brother Jamie is best mates with my brother James, unfortunately Bob Walker passed away 3 years ago.
Andy Maton is still out there racing and we have crossed paths too in recent months back at EPR where we did quite a bit of racing as youngsters!!

Darren is right Chesham was a huge track with a massive straight and the big issues in those days was getting the duration out of your 16 double and 1200 batts or whatever we ran!!!!!

Yes there was a belt for the XLS, orange i think,

Wasp did a rear one piece light alloy diff to replace the 3 piece version that came originally with the cat breed of cars, As did MMS which made them from nylon.

I think Sandown Park racecourse now has a go kart track where we used to race. i remember the trailor there that had a shed attached to it, that was race controll during the day, where Bob would be, and once the meeting ended all the sand filled hoses and tyres would go in there and then it was hidden round the back so it couldnt be seen from the grandstand otherwise they kicked off about it.
Funny tho because we absolutely destroyed the grass and that could definately be seen from the grandstand.
Buggys were slowing down towards the end, and hybrid touring cars were coming into play, people were running touring car shells on buggys that had limiters in the shocks to take away the droop and foam tyres

Surrey radio controlled model car club then moved to Tolworth and built a purpose built on road track which went on to run for many years with the birth of touring cars and the F1 tamiya cars.....

7 years ago I took my then aged 6 son to race, he went on to race nationally in touring cars and has gone on to buggys and was top junior under 16 in the mid south this year.

Thanks dad it costs me a fortune!!!

I'll dig some pictures out and get Dudders to put them on here because I havent got a clue!!!

Thanks for the kind words for both Alan and Terry, Gareth Alans son and I are pleased they did a good job.
Mark Sadler