Thread: Older Xrays
View Single Post
Old 28-12-2019

Ok, some pics of those drive shafts installed.

You can see it is on the setup station. I went for a fairly conservative setup, 1.5camber all round, 5.2mm ride height, 1 degree toe out across the front axle, and a whole 3 degrees toe on each rear wheel. Droop was a complete guess, at 2mm over on the rear and something like 3mm over on the front.

I don't have a rear roll bar yet, but substituted a front at the rear to get me going.

I also fashioned this LiPo holder front a sheet of carbon and taped the battery in. The tape you can see in this pic is holding the brass weight to the bottom of the LiPo.

Yesterday afternoon, I raced the thing at the Forrest club in Mitcheldean. It was a quiet evening, but it let us get plenty of laps in. There was three of us with vintage cars, there a TC3 and a Pro4. I also took my new T4 '20 to try, just as a shakedown really.

The droop was close, I increased the rear droop to 3mm over through the evening to give me a little bit more steering. I suffered a bit of grip roll, but can't lower the roll centres any more. I tried to increase the track width on the front, but didn't seem to make much of a difference.

The old cars were surprisingly well suited to the small track. Mine as you can see wore relatively modern brushless kit, the other two had brushed motors. I will swap out to a brushed setup before I use it again. Brushed motors suit these old cars so well. The brushless is brutal in power delivery, and I can see it accelerating wear on the car. It has already shown up the front belt as a weak point, so I have ordered a new belt for it although not from a model car... It didn't break, but did twist the belt over so it was rear wheel drive for a good part of the race meeting.

All good fun.