View Single Post
Old 23-03-2012
Mad Member

Default Scrap Clubman in favour of formula racing

Hi all,

There has been much talk of late about modifying the rules to allow the faster Clubman drivers to compete with the slower modified drivers.

The aim of any amendment to the rules would be to promote competition in the "mid" field and to isolate and protect new racers from being blown out of the water by the faster drivers in the same class.

So, I'm going to make the following proposal (in time, once developed) to the committee for adoption into the rules for this year's outdoor championhip - and by default it will more than likely be adopted into weekly racing. This is only an concept for an amendment and it can be tweaked based on the feedback that we get here and at racing before it is implemented.
  1. Scrap the Clubman class, and put everyone into the modified class - this will fill up heats more and avoid marshalling issues related to 2 or 3 car races.
  2. Give everyone new formula gradings from F1 to F5. F1 will be a National Championship winner - any motor, free esc timing. F2 will be drivers with any motor and free esc timing at are calcluated to be on average a certain percentage slower than the lead F1 driver. F3 will be drivers with any motor, but no esc timing allowed who are again a certain percentage slower than the lead F1 driver. F4 will be drivers with 10.5 or greater motors and no esc timing who are a certain percentage slower than the lead F1 driver. F5 will be drivers with 10.5 or greater motors and no esc timing who have less than 1 full years racing experience.
  3. Prizes will be awarded to top 3 overall and top 2 or 3 in each formula instead of by Modified / Clubman.
This concept is really focused on F3 - The modified drivers who are 2 laps+ off the lead modified drivers pace will be catagorised as F3, as will the current leading clubman drivers. So we should have 8 - 10 drivers in this section all on a very similar pace.

....... I;ve to think more about this, but thought I'd get the initial idea out there for general digestion.