View Single Post
Old 14-12-2014

Unfortunately this topic has taken away from what a good day's racing it was, a great track layout and some good close racing on the whole.

Thanks to Birdy for running race control, went very well on auto despite a few glitches. Thanks to Rob for a very good track layout was a pleasure to drive and very rewarding when you got it right. Another mention was everyone was great at getting out up marshal in time which makes the meeting go far smoother.

One final thought from me on the bad driving issue, courtesy and sportsmanship seems to be seriously on the wane at all levels of RC these days. 15 years ago (Jesus is it that long?!) when I first attempted to race toy car's seeing drivers wait for the car they accidentally took out was the norm, if you didn't you were almost seen as a cheat to others or certainly not racing within the spirit of the sport. This is something that is rarely seen at meetings these days including nationals which contain just as much bad driving as we've seen today. It seems as if, at nationals at least if you don't get a warning you've got away with it which in one way you have but it shouldn't be about that you should stop and wait so you are essentially apologising for your mistake there and then and it goes no further.
Racers themselves especially new or younger ones can't really be blamed for not knowing racing etiquette as they do what they see the existing members do which in recent years seems to be keep your thumb down! Lots of drivers, myself included have driven away from hitting another car with the attitude of "they wouldn't do this for me" I know this is wrong but it seems to feel like honestly and integrity leave you left behind at times.

The problem is etiquette such as waiting for others you've tagged isn't a 'rule' so people see it as optional. I think more needs to be done to educate drivers on this sort of thing not just at our club but nationally.

Chris