View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008
Mad Member

Now called me an old fashioned grinch but I just don't understand this obsession with putting LiPo saddles in cars.

Yokomo built the car around the weight distribution with NiMHs. The car won the Euros and the other meetings it has won with NiMHs. The slots are the exact size of NiMHs.

Yet all people want to do is hack the car about to put a LiPo in!

OK, so they are easier to use - but they completely mess up the weight distribution. I've seen a few rear-saddle cars running LiPos and half of them handle like utter dogs compared to the NiMH cars. Even if you are very clever with your ballast, you will still struggle to match the weight distribution the Yokomo engineers spent months deciding on.

It astonishes me that a couple of years ago people were getting worked up about how the Yokomo BX cells were moved a few mm compared to another car, yet people are now removing 150-200gms from the rear of the car without a thought!

And why are you ordering FIVE Lipos? From what I understand one pack, two at most is enough for a whole race meeting, because you can top them up right after use and get similar performance, unlike NiMHs which need cooling time, so unless you are running five different cars each day, five packs seems like a massive waste of money.

If you want a LiPo car, get the CAT. It is the only car on the market that has been designed for it - but even I don't know whether the weight distribution is the same as the NiMH version (I think it is a lot closer than any rear saddle car would be though).

Grumble over.