View Single Post
Old 19-05-2020
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
Personally, I feel the shops and the people who run the racing bodies have a massive conflict of interest. You dig just under the surface and there is always an agenda and the agenda is always money.

Tires are required. They are necessary or you dont race and it means manufacturers, shops etc have a monopoly and will ALWAYS say that their tire is the best, you need their tire to be fast. Its a massive, massive market.

Until there is a member voted control tire (where ALL members provide input and voted) then the system is always and will always be controlled by those with an agenda.

When they stop considering the money earning potential in this decision and who can make a quick buck, and consider ALL racers, then it wont change.

I feel the tires should be ”not for profit” and supplied by governing body only..
I'm going to have to assume Swedens governing body does things different to most countries then.

The BRCA is run by the UKs racers and has no direct affiliation to any manufacturer, nor does any manufacturer or retailer have any say in decisions taken by the BRCA members. the only "agenda" the BRCA has regarding money is keeping costs down for the racers. If you really believe shops have plenty of influence over governing bodies we wouldn't have price limits on motors and batteries, and we wouldn't have limits on tyre use in many classes. Go through all the BRCA committees and you will find very few people actually involved in the r/c industry.

Depending on the classes, spec tyres are either chosen by the racers taking part in the series, or by the clubs themselves who know what works on their tracks. This means the racers have one or two types of tyre to buy for that event. This was introduced by the governing bodies specifically to keep costs down, anyone remember 20 years ago when you needed a literal car boot full of tyres to make sure you had every combination possible just in case, or when touring car racers literally spent hundreds of pounds on tyres, inserts and wheels for practice to find the best combination, as they were limited to only two sets on race day.

The people who race in each category get to choose what tyre they use and how many sets they want to use, the system we have is the one all members have supported previously. Anyone who wants to change the rules can put in a proposal at the AGM and get it voted on by the members. The manufacturers make tyres, it is up to the racers whether they throw on a new set each race or choose something more durable.