View Single Post
Old 02-07-2020
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Anyone who wants to change the rules can put in a proposal at the AGM and get it voted on by the members.
I think this is the key part of this debate - any change you wish to see has to come from the members.

I've read through this whole thread twice now, its very interesting. I've also spoken to a few indoor club racers who say that the "stickiest tires possible" mentality has filtered down to their clubs and so people are now racing with tires that need changing through a night.

I don't race 10th off-road competitively so am just commenting from the point of view of an outsider really, but this does filter into other classes too.

There was a comment or quote a few pages back where someone mentioned that PW had said about how Nationals were all about the top racers in the country who would always throw new tires on where possible (I am paraphrasing here). I think I am at a point now where I respectively disagree with that.

Say, for arguments sake, that at each round of the 10th off-road national series you see 120 entries. All things being equal (new tires every round etc) you'll only ever expect between the top 10 and 20 of those drivers to have a realistic chance of making the A-final.

If we ran a National series that was open to the best 20 drivers that year only, with manufacturer sponsorship making the series financially viable it would be different, but we dont - the entry fees from the remaining 100 people (who chances are will never make an A-final, and whose chances of making a B-final are limited) fund the financial viability of the entire national series.

If you could introduce a system where the best 20 drivers at that given time were allowed to race under a given set of rules (with a given control tyre that suited their requirements), maybe where manufacturers/distros are allocated grid slots like in F1 (etc), then you could work your way backwards so the best 21st to 40th driver could race under a set of rules/control tyre that would suit their needs and financial requirements.

Keep going backwards until you run out of people and they are all racing on yellow spikes.

The above is just an idea - I have no idea how it would work, but to me it just seems unfair that the top drivers in the country, who at worst are only paying a few £ per set of tires and at best are getting every set for free run to the same control tyre rules as people in the pull-start finals who feel compelled to run those same tyres but at full RRP.

Either way, an interesting debate that will probably not get resolved at an AGM any time soon

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups